Thread: newbee

Question newbee

This has got to be the coolest site I have ever found. So much information it makes my head hurt. Im wanting to buils a mimi and Im not sure whereto start or what is the best enging to start looking for. Ifanyone want to give me some advice I sure could use it.

Welcome to the site, just ask away and I'm sure there will be fellers that are more than willing to help. Building a mini really has a lot depending on how much money you want to spend. I would suggest getting the best hull you can afford then you can always upgrade the motor as funds are available if doing it on a low budget.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    xray,

Welcome to the forum. Papee's already given you some good advice.

Look around, learn from our mistakes (and successes) and feel free to ask questions.

Some of us bite at each other from time to time, but we don't break the skin.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Hey Duane, eyes getting bad too? I see you are typing in Bold. You could just hit ctrl and + or - to make the print bigger. Just trying to help an old feller.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,

Hey, that works !

Thanks for the help. Us old fellers need it, don't we?

Actually, if I don't put on my reading glasses, there is no point in me sitting in front of the computer.

I don't know how I got bold turned ON, but I couldn't figure out how to turn it back off. The bold icon didn't work.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I would like to start on the hull this winter but till then I can look for a motor and dive unit. I use an old Panther direct drive 350 at work. This winter we have to do some major repairs. Ive read some post about Rotex, generator motors, Briggs, bilke motors, snowrides, so the questions is what is the best engines to start looking for? What hp range for say 12 13ish feet 2 person? Is the engines out the with reduction drives? That about jet shi motors can they be used? He in NW TN we have a bunch parked in yard. By the way my typing is a lot slower than my brain.

xray

Welcome to the site! There's a lot of good information, and better people, who are happy to share information and advice. As far as a good choice for a motor? Not an easy question to answer. They're all good and any can be adapted to airboat use. One crutucal question is: What's you budget and how much tinkering do you want to do?

For instance. Rotax motors are a proven power plant in the ultra light aircraft world and you can buy factory built reduction units for them. In addition, just about any propeller manufacturer can tell you exactly how to prop it for best performance. A real turn key choice, if you have SEVERAL THOUSANDS of dollars to spend. Just slap it in and go!

On the other hand you could scrounge up a old VW motor, run it direct drive and go. That would be a relatively inexpensive way to go...

If I was in your situation, I would suggest something with at least 45hp, and a good weight to HP ratio. Weight is critical in a mini setup....

Of course, that's JMO! I am not the guy on this site you want to talk to if you want expert advice! I'm just relaying what I've learned in the last year or so with my project.

Flathead

My boat is 13'4"x 6' wide and has a 4A084 running direct drive. I run an Arrow stick prop. I can haul 750 lbs all day long with no problem. There are plenty of videos around of it running. My hull is 3/8 aluminum.

Ok,, Im new..what is a 4A084? where do your find them? What modifications do they require? General costof a REAL good unit? Are there replacement parts close at hand? Do they requirea direct drive? Can the motor be mounted lower in the hull? What cooling system do they used? Can you suggest when I can read about a one in a boat say from scratch.That might keep me from asking so many questions and wasting alot of yalls time.

Buster, Duane, and I as well as others are all running the 4A084 it is approx 50 hp army surplus motor. Buster and Duane are running reduction drives and me direct. There is an entire forum dedicated to the 4A084

http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/fo...e-4A084-engine

Duane's build( he's a little slow and not done)
    http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...de-MiniPro-116

Buster
    http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...ding-an-aircat!

Mine
    http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...d-boat-rebuild

xray,

Papee is correct. I am slow. But I'm having fun. And the longer it takes, the longer my fun lasts.

There are new in the crate 4A084 engines still available, sometimes at very good prices, but they are becoming a little hard to find.

The same is true for parts. They are still available, at decent prices, but getting a bit more difficult to locate.

While I think that the 4A084 is an excellent choice for a Mini-Airboat, there are many other options that you may want to consider.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

To All, Thanks for the info and the links, you guys do some great things with the boats. What are your ideas on a low mounted engine? Im running a direct drive 350 Panther thats about 25 years old. I think we are going for a refit this winter so it will be back at 100% by Spring. I know that in the turns and in deep water it can get tricky. Id like to maybe lower the weight. Ideas

Just to clear up my last post,,,the Panter is not mine. It is one of my assigned boats. I would like to get your ideas on a low mounterd motor on a mini. Sorry, Ill try to think more and type less.

Others may have different idea but in my opinion all the prop should be above the transom. On these low HP setups we want to take advantage of ever HP and thrust we can. Engine height really isn't a problem on a mini with the lighter power plants. One thing you can do is keep the seating as low as possible for the running you do. I'm saying if you have a 6' or wider hull there is not much concern about engine height, just put it where you need it for your prop to clear.

MAA Vendor

Hey xray, the Panther you drive is an old style hull and they would roll and scare the hell out of you until you got use to it.
    It's not because the engine is high, it's because the design of the hull. All the new hulls being built today have flatter bottoms and most have turning chimes. The new hulls we use now are very safe. The hull is the most important part of the boat on how good it performs.
    Thanks for joining the forum, Chuck

The reason I asked about mounting the engine low was to lower the weight but keep the prop high. Oh well. The easest would be the seating since most are mud flats. Can you tell me if any one sell a hull plan that works say in the 14 ish range? Its got to be more to it than a flat bottom boat. Just looking at doing it right the first time. I have found that it cost more to re-invent the wheel, just go with what works. Chuck, your right, its an old boat 1985 and I dont thinks Ill ever get use to it. I used it in Nashville during the flood. Of course it was overloaded and it sure wasnt fun. It feels like your always about to lose it. You must have put some hours on one..... Thanks All

MAA Vendor

Hey xray, while you have the boat down this winter, you could weld a 2x2 angle down each side about 4 inches up from the bottom. weld the 2 edges of the angle to the hull and that will create a turning chime. It will also help the boat get on plane. It would be like driving a new boat.
    We sell a 12 X 7 Aluminum with a .125 bottom of 6061 and .090 sides that is lite weight and works good for a mini. The bottom stays the same width all the way to the rake section where it narrows. It sells for $ 3200.00. Thanks, Chuck
    Name:  Mini Hulls 5 003.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  99.0 KB

Chuck,,,,,,,would you please draw a shetch for me like, How far from the front does it start,,,how far does it go,,,,2X2 how thick,,,,what angle if any does it go,,,,,We have three boats in the area, one 15ish and one 18 with reduction. We are having another 18 transfered here because they carry so much and it not being used where its at.....There is more and more air rides on the river. Bow fisherman and hunters on the mud flats. Great looking hull,,,Id have to save awhile for that good of hull its SHARP !!!!! What part of the US are you. Thanks fot the info ahead of time....

MAA Vendor

Hey xray, We are at Lake Panasoffkee Florida, 4629 W State Road 44, Airboat Pro's LLC. 352-330-1015. We build Airboats and sell parts for them. I hope the sketch answers your questions.
    Name:  Adding Turning Chime.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  80.9 KB

Chuck...........Cant say thank you enought, Ill let you know when we put it on this winter and post pictures. Thanks for sending your info Im sure you will be hearing from me. We always need stuff to keep things going around here. Ill pass your info up the chain.

I have not been able to find much on how to evaluate a wooden prop to make sure its good or what is required to refinish one. Can some one post a link.