Page 1 of 18 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding an aircat!

Rebuilding an aircat!

I can't seem to sleep tonight, so I thought maybe I'd would put a few pic's of my latest project on here for the world to see. It is an "Aircat" hull, built back in the 60's or 70's, I think. I wanted to start with a Mini Pro 116 hull, but it just was not in my budget.

This Aircat seems to be in quite good condition, given that it probably is forty or fifty years old. Anyway fiberglass is easy to repair, and only a few small spots are questionable.

It was built by the Hurricane Fiberglass Co. in Florida, but they have long since closed up shop. I understand they did build some fine boats in their day.

The hull measures 11' long and 6' 6" wide at the top of the transom. My engine of choice for it is the 084, 1.69:1 belt reduction, and a three blade IVO prop.

If any of you have any info or interesting facts about the Aircat, please post them, since I never even saw an Aircat until I found this one.

I hope these pic's work here, and I'll post some more when the build gets further along

Dave.

Re: REBUILDING AN AIRCAT!

Cool pics, we like to see build threads, keep it coming.

PS, looks coooooold there, even for a PA boy.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

OK Papee.
    You want build pic's, I can make that happen. This is what I did over the week-end.
    Sorry 'bout the cluttered shop. It'll get it cleaned up when the boat floats.
    Dave

P.S. yer right Papee, it is cold here, and I am ready for spring...been ready about three months so far. Gettin real tired of Minnesota winters For two cents i'd move south, maybe Florida, but I couldn't get wifey out of this state with a winch!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Neat looking boat Buster. Did you say it was built in Florida. Keep the pics, comming. Looken good!
    Bogger

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Buster,

That's looking nice. Your shop is much more organized than mine, but I plan to work on that this weekend. (we're supposed to have decent weather) I can hardly move around because of the clutter/crap.

I've had a nearby expert 4A084 experimental aircraft engine builder volunteer to come help me, and give me pointers, but my shop is such a damned mess. Shame on me.

Can you tell more about your motor mounts? Maybe some close up photos? I'm trying to figure mine out. (I'm still in the planning stage on my rigging, been concentrating on the engine, and haven't figured out the motor mounts yet).

Thanks,

Duane

BTW, I like the milk crate seat pedastal. Would you mind if I copy that?

Quote Originally Posted by buster
    OK Papee.
    You want build pic's, I can make that happen. This is what I did over the week-end.
    Sorry 'bout the cluttered shop. It'll get it cleaned up when the boat floats.
    Dave

P.S. yer right Papee, it is cold here, and I am ready for spring...been ready about three months so far. Gettin real tired of Minnesota winters For two cents i'd move south, maybe Florida, but I couldn't get wifey out of this state with a winch!
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

That's what the Tag on the Hull says...Hurricane Fiberglass Products, Corp., Lake Hamilton, Florida. I understand they where building some fine boats back in the 60" & 70's, but have long since closed shop, too bad.
    We got the rigging welded up last night, hope to get it painted tomorrow. then on to finish up prop cage. Seems like my list of tasks keeps getting longer instead of shorter!

Duane, If you google autofab.com, it will take you to the place that I found these motor mounts. The ones I settled for are BA150, but they have a selection to choose from. If you end up doing business with them, tell John I sent you! He got real interested in Airboats when I showed him a pic' of mine!
    And I guess you can use the milk crate seat pedestal, then , if you're sure no one is around, you can sit up there and make airboat noises
    Dave

Buster,

I'd make the airboat noises even if people were around.

Thanks for the info on the motor mounts. I'll check them out.

It looks like you're using 3/4" EMT for the main engine supports / main hoops, and 1/2" EMT for the rest. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane
    That's right 3/4" EMT. It probably would have been better to use 1", but I don't have a 1" tubing bender. Anyway it was hard enough to bend up the prop cage hoops out of 3/4".

Did you decide what prop you are going to end up with? Also, did you decide to go with a reduction unit or DD?

BTW, any chance of you posting a video when you sit up there and make those noises

Dave

MAA Vendor

Hey Buster, we used 3/4 EMT on the bottom runners only. The rest of the metalworks was all 1/2 " EMT. It is plenty strong enough when braced right and saves weight. Check out The post on Ron and Robins 084. Weight makes a big difference on low HP boats.
    Thanks, Chuck

Buster,

I have decided to go with a reduction drive. I'm buying one of Chuck's Arrowprop reductions. I have not decided on the prop yet.

As for the video, when I get far enough along, I might just do that. I am crazy enough.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

OK Chuck,
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess it's too late to change mine, but I'll remember for next time.
    Dave

Chuck has some good motor mounts with nice bushings. Does that seat come with seat belt's. "LOL". looks like your making some good head way.
    Bogger.

I never thought to check with Chuck about motor mounts. Maybee I could have saved some money. Yes I have put in a bunch of time on the boat this last week or two. I'll put in more pic's shortly.
    No seat belt....it's and ejection seat (when you hit a tree or something )
    Dave

Well, another weekend passed and I got a little further. Got the cages both on, cleaned the brazing flux off, and finally painted. Sure is time consuming, but has to be done.
    Also got the bracktery for the Starter/generator made up. Now I have a problem I need some advice on. Their are four cables, and one 12ga wire coming out of the unit. We tried hooking them up different ways, and finally got it to motor. It doesn't seem to run very fast, and hasn't got much power. Certainly not enough to turn the 084 over. I don't think it would even turn a single cylinder engine. I don't know if we have a problem with the s/g unit or have it hooked wrong.
    If anyone has experience with these units, or maybe a wiring diagram, please chime in.

The unit came from a Easy-go golf cart with a bad engine, but was supposed to be ok.
    The tag on it reads: GSB107-01C 12v 0.9HP Hitachi, Ltd. Tokyo

Thanks, Dave

MAA Vendor

Hey buster, try putting a 2 inch pulley on the starter. We used a serpintine belt and had the rope pull pulley machined down flat where the belt runs.
    Did you try to call me yesterday? One message on my answering machine was from a buster and I went to hit the replay button and hit the delete botton. If so, please call back.
    Thanks, Chuck

Buster,

After rope starting my engine a couple of times, I was left with the impression that it'll take a serious starter generator to spin it over. I wondered if the golf cart starters would have enough oomph for the job.

Chucks suggestion about using a smaller pulley sounds good. These engines don't need a fast spin to start but do need a lot of torque to turn it over.

I googled starter generators a few days ago and ran across several schematics. I don't remember if there was one for your Easy Go Hitachi. Give that a shot.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Chuck,

I didn't look closely but thought that the rope pull pulley was already flat enough for a serpantine belt. I'll have to take another look at it. What starter/generator do you use?

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

OK Chuck,
    Today we found a 2" pulley and tried it out again. It now makes more of an effort to turn over, but still can't quite do it. As I said we using a jumper pack, and then a pair of starting cables ( heavy welding wire). Do you think hard wiring would have made any difference? I am about ready to purchase the prop, but I sure would like to get this engine started first! I am not sure what my next step should be! Severe shoulder problems prevent my pull starting, I can't even start my chain saw anymore.
    Incidently, are your Starter kits for the 084 in production yet?

BTW, I did not call you. If I get ready to spend some money, I wouldn't give up with one failed phone call!
    Thanks, Dave

Buster,

It looks like you do some nice work. I've been trying to decide if I want to MIG my rigging or braze it. I've been advised that I'd be much happier with the results if I MIG it.

But I don't own a MIG welder. And I'd have to learn how to use it. (I've stick welded, TIG welded, and gas welded, but not tried MIG yet). MIG was still a new thing back when I was doing much welding.

I do have an oxy/acetyline setup, and have brazed a lot in the past.

I've been pondering whether to buy a MIG welder, or braze it. Besides the expense, I'm pretty sure that I can braze the thin EMT well. I'm not too sure if I'll be able to MIG EMT and it come out nice.

One thing that I do like about MIG is fast tacks. You can hold the piece in place with one hand, and tack it with the other. Can't do that when brazing.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Another thing that I'm pondering is how to cope/notch/fishmouth the thin EMT. At first I thought about making a couple of jigs for the drill press and using hole saws. I was told that was a bad idea. I was told that all I needed was a "Joint Jigger". They sell for about $165. I don't guess that's too bad. But then was told that it wouldn't work well on the thin stuff, and needed to buy a $500.00+ item.

I'm going to experiment with the jig in the drill press idea this weekend.

What did you use?

Thanks,
    Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

MAA Vendor

Hey Duane and buster, The rope pulley is .015 taper in 1.5 inch. We trued hours on a lath. You have to find a 4 pole starter/generater from the golf carts. The 2 pole is not strong enough. Bill with billsmini found one and it spins his motor good. Getting ready for the show and working on other boats, I haven't had time to do research. If you have a local auto electric shop, they can help locate the right one. A 4 pole. We have made a couple of mount brackets but it may a couple of weeks before we can start making them.
    Thanks, Chuck