Thread: Installing a Fan on the Rope Pulley

Hybrid View

Re: Installing a Fan on the Rope Pulley

Wow, that's a nice looking cover...The shields are really starting to take shape...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

thanks Corky,
    I wish I had the tools here at the house to make the rest of this look as good, it was hard to cut into it, but it needed to happen. instead of waiting for my friend to help me out. I could have split the 042 cover and added a 10in. splice.
    but either way it is going forward,
    I got the back 2 corners finished. used double sided tape to attach them to the sides.
    I decided to put a jog on the right back corner, so I would not need to make a cut out for the oil lines.
    once everything is fitted up. they will get rivets.
    started on fitting up the front of the shroud, rounding out the top, and reducing the bottom corners for better air flow.

the only drawback I am seeing at the moment is to remove the top cover, the way it is... I will need to remove the starter motor. so it might have to go back to the drawing board. or at least put in a trap door I can make any adjustment to the throttle body.
    but then again, once everything is dialed in, I shouldn't need to take the cover off to often. may I just over think things,
    like how often do I need to mess with my car, but it is nice to open the hood once in a while..
    Attached Images Attached Images    

It has been a good day, wheeled the motor out side to work on it, it is starting to get crowded in the shed... on these nice spring days..
    it took a couple of different approaches, but finally came up with how I wanted to finish the shroud. if I would have had enough material. I would have just made one solid piece for both sides, but I cut a 1.5" backing plate, used double sided tape and joined the front part to it. I will be riveting all the joints that have tape. with 1/8" rivets..
    It made it look nicer than trying to over lap the joints.

I also cut out for the alternator and it turned out better than I would have thought. it looks like I will turn out 2 ea. 1/2" spacers and put them on the 2 bottom bolts on the fan shroud. to hold the back part from bumping into the alternator belt.
    then put a backing plate on the front corners. so I can bolt the front to the sides, looking at some sort of spring clamps to secure the top..

sorry for the delay, all of this has been waiting for the stand, so I would know exactly how to fit all the pieces together.
    now I can almost check this off the list. just need to do a few more things before starting it up. like get the consul made up and cleanup the wiring...
    Attached Images Attached Images