Thread: Corky's Build

Threaded View

Re: Corky's Build

The next step is the fuel tank placement...I did'nt want it under the engine I feel that puts all the weight too far back for this build...So I moved the fuel tank placement up ,under the rigging, between the operators seat and the front seat...And here's the other problem I had on my mind{yep, overthinking again}...Knowing what I've gone through out here on the Susquehanna river I did'nt want the tank to sit completely on the floor...I've hit rock where it's creased the hull floor from bow to stern...Now with 1/8th inch aluminum you would'nt think I'd have the same problem but...I just don't want to take any chances...So the tank sits a few inches off the bottom {4 to be exact}...
    This does two things for me...First the air can get under,over, and around the tank{the tank is still below the prop line} and I feel it has'nt significantly raised the center of gravity...
    Secondly,now I can add an access door to the deck and fill the tank resting a five gallon fuel can on the deck while pouring it in !!! Another point to make is with this set-up all I have to do is simply open the door and look at the tank's built-in fuel gauge...I now have the ability to check the fuel level from the operators seat !! The fuel tank will get two straps holding it in place....Here's the pics showing the fuel tank and the new steps...I'll get pics of the access door this week and show what I'm doing...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop