Thread: The streak is gone

The streak is gone

After the long streak with no problems it's over. Totally my fault though. When I got the boat out this year it didn't turn over by hand at first. I rocked the prop a few times and it broke lose. I noticed a little rough spot when turning it by hand with the plugs out. I had put a little trans fluid in the cylinders.

Any way I was out a few times and it was fouling a plug. This morning I made about a two mile run and shut it CV off to fish. There was oil all over the engine. I checked and there was very little oil in it. It looks like it came CV out the breather tube. I said ok, looks like I broke a ring. I pulled the plugs out when I got home but they all look good.

Anyone else have an idea? It wasnt running the best but the plugs are not oily. I'm still thinking a ring is bad building crankcase pressure. Anyone else want to agree with me before I tear this apart.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: The streak is gone

that doesn't sound any fun, I would do a compression check to see which cylinder is the problem child...
    if you need a cylinder set, I would get one through John Emery, he treated me more than fair, you get a cylinder machined to match the piston. a set of chrome rings, for 75.00
    he has the rod bearings also. I think they were 20 for a set of 2.
    going through him was a lot simpler than trying to piece it together, where it is hit and miss, on getting the matching cylinders and pistons. where each have 4 different sizes. the set up you don't want is a #D piston, with a #A cylinder. that would be a recipe for disaster, that is why he sends them out, so each set is a correct fit...
    I will pm you his contact info. I think you would have fun visiting with him.
    you will be back in action in a week...
    glad you got it back to the trailer...

When I am testing something or the boat isn't running up to par I always go up river. I was able to float and get some fishing in.

I'm within walking distance of Saturn Surplus. I'll just put in some new old stock. I had trouble when i first got it and replaced one jug head and piston rings. It's been running fine for 10 years like that. I shut it down to fish. It wasnt till I looked at the motor that I knew there was big problems so I dont think I hurt it any other than the rings and maybe the jug. I'm going to replace all the rings while I have it torn down. I think maybe both cylinders on the left bank may be compromised. It's cheap so I'm going to do them all and replace what's needed.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Well I went to see Mark at Saturn Surplus this morning and got some parts. It was a hot one so I couldn't work for very long till I had to take an AC break. I tore the questionable head off the cylinder I thought was causing the problem. Sure enough the cylinder was wet with oil. I put on some new rings, a new jug, and put it back together.

I figure it had to be just one cylinder because it was still getting on plane even though it was running rough. So I'm back running but I still need to break in that cylinder and take it to the river so I can run it longer. I dont like to run it too long here at the house so far the neighbors put up with me.

Is there any evidence of pitting in the bore ??Scored rings ??? ETC... I've seen where the rings freeze up like you're describing and they make a blemish in the bore where the oil gets by the rings..Or the rings take the hit from rust and can't seal...It's a good thing the parts are so close and cheap..That's what I like about these engines..
    Last edited by Corky; 07-27-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Yes Corky that is exactly what it was. It worked ok the first time I was out. The second time it was worse and the third blew all the oil out. They were all short runs but the rings got worn down on the putting I figure.

[QUOTE=Papee;39409]Well I went to see Mark at Saturn Surplus this morning and got some parts.

I would be in so much trouble if I had that simple of access to spare parts for this motor....and that close to home.....
    I glad Saturn had the parts that you needed. figured by now most of his inventory would have been gone...

I got a question, for you, Papee, what would be your thoughts on how a person would measure the thrust output on the motor. I have seen some videos from the airplane group, that tie a scale to a pole and run the motor at max rpm and see what it is measuring.