Thread: Lathe Attachments, Indexing / Dividing Head

Lathe Attachments, Indexing / Dividing Head

Over the past couple of years, on fabbing up many different things, on my lathe, I have made more than my share of paper weights,
    One of the biggest headaches was the placement of holes, like a prop hub,

over time, I have picked up and tried to fab up a few different things, but it got complicated to quick..
    but last month I came across a good deal on a indexing set, that had been sitting for some time.
    soaked it in some tranny fluid and acetone for a few, and with a little elbow grease, It looked like it had come off a show room floor,,, almost..
    then last week I came across an idea to match it up to the lathe, so now hopefully there should be no more paper weights.
    It almost wants me to make another prop hub extension, and idler pulley among other things, I know things were close on those 2 items, but as always something is always off by just a little.
    at the moment the part I will use the most is the ring gear, it has holes 48 holes in it, so anything that will divide into it. which is a lot of what I am doing at the moment, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12
    now I am just wishing i had this a few years ago, but, now that I have tried the hard ways and have failed miserably more than a few times, it will make me appreciate this attachment so much more...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: Lathe Attachments, Indexing / Dividing Head

Wow Bart, that's a great addition to the toys you have...It's amazing what we take for granted when we look at what it will take to fabricate..I'm guilty as well...Look at it and say " That'll be easy and quick using"... And it never seems to work out quite as planned..

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Re: Lathe Attachments, Indexing / Dividing Head

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Wow Bart, that's a great addition to the toys you have...It's amazing what we take for granted when we look at what it will take to fabricate..I'm guilty as well...Look at it and say " That'll be easy and quick using"... And it never seems to work out quite as planned..
    you are correct in "things never work out as planned. last week I was turning out a dust cover for a 3" chuck I picked up. the last detail was to drill 3 mounting holes.. You can see the picture, enough said.
    so out came the half finished project.. turned out a plunging pin, and decided how to secure it to the lathe or cabinet.. now at least I should not have any excuses for getting holes lined out....the gear has 24 detents on it. for the most part that is what I will be using. if it can be divided by 24. If I need to use the indexer, I will be watching a few videos on how to do the math...
    maybe I might be making another prop hub extension. with this I know the holes will be correctly centered... the one I have is close.. but if I can dial things in just a little better. all it will cost me is 30 dollars for a aluminum hub, and my time... looking back I have came along way with tools and just a little knowledge on doing things in house...
    Attached Images Attached Images