Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Project to Play With Part 2

Re: Another Project to Play With Part 2

so playing with the cage, I know that just but welding the SS tube joints, would be strong enough, I decided to go a step further, and turned out a couple shouldered inserts on the lathe to connect the 2 main hoops together, and give me a little more piece of mind. Plus makes the fit up just a little simpler.
    looking at how the back hoop is turning out. not bad for turning it out on a roller.
    kind of excited to see how this all turns out.
    It is nice to have lathe to fab up little parts like the shouldered inserts, & other little things that come up....
    Attached Images Attached Images     

haven't done a lot with the cage yet, it has been a rainy month of August. and have been occupied with dealing with the electronic part on this build....
    one of the other things is getting a trailer. where the hull is just a little wider the old trailer would need some work.
    the other day I happened to go by a fish cannery, and they were cutting up an aluminum boat frame. made out of 3x5 tube 3/8" thick. luckly I was able to visit with the boss and get it before it was all cut up in 3' pieces..
    decided to rip in half ending up with C-channel 2.5x3 to use for the frame. just need to center the tongue, with a little more bracing it should be good to go
    not bad to fab up a trailer with all that is needing to purchase is a hitch and lights. just need to find a wider axle some day.. so the the frame can set a little lower.

now I got a most of the electronics figured out, I am hoping for a dryer September so I can get a lot of these things finished up..

Today has been a good day. even though it was a rainy drizzle all day long.. I was able to get the trailer almost there. a couple more things and then it will be done. still need to flip it over and weld the bottom joints.. I am liking how light is is compared the steel trailer.
    the best part of it now. is I have a table to lay the cage hoops on and get the ends cut at the right length.... sometime ago I loaned out my saw horses, and being to cheap. to go buy some more, I will just have to use the trailer....
    the sad part is we are loosing daylight fast. the last picture with the hoops on the trailer was at 9:30 tonight. someday I will need to get a yard light.....
    hoping that this week I can get the cage and the seating installed. at least that is what I am hoping for...

Now that I had a table to get matching lengths on the legs of the hoops. It is starting to take shape.
    did a little different on the mounting hardware for the hoops. It is nice to have that lathe. I took a couple of 3/8 coupling nuts and turned down about 3/4 of it to slide into the tube. Leaving 3/4" sticking out of the tube. I am liking how it fitted up.
    I still am liking the tubing cutter and soft disc on the grinder for cutting and shaping the ends of the tube.
    and the roller got pulled out again, to help with the . to help with the tubing profile on the cage. Sometime I might have to take time and put a coat of paint on it.
    got a little more done, mostly show. but it still takes time.
    the other day when I ran it with the prop. I had to put a few things in the way to remind me of where the prop is. and to keep my distance.
    I have decided to go with a pancake style so it will give me room to adjust and tinker with the motor.
    at the moment the cage might seem a little large with some space for the prop to grow. at the moment the prop is 60" in diameter, someday, I am hopping that a 67" Whirlwind prop might show up. or something along those lines...

things were going real good, then the sun went down and humidity fogged up the welding helmet. so I had to call it a night.
    it makes it fun when we are losing minutes a each day of daylight. one really doesn't notice it when it is raining, but man by 9:30 the stars were out. I keep forgetting how nice the summer months with the long daylight can be.. but it is fun to see the northern lights also. they have came out a few times already this month, and have put on quite a show...

got a little more completed. life gets busy all the time. but slowly progress is being made.
    tacked the rudder attachments on tonight. I was remembering the last time, how much fun it was to get them centered and trued up.
    this time. I tacked a rod to each of the tabs so both the top and bottom would be the same distance apart. 20" center to center. then used some spare tubes to keep the distance from the top rail to the bottom rail the same. so far it is looking real good. and things are starting to take shape.
    on a side note I came across a bunch of thin wall SS tubing 3 to 4 foot long. and .83 dia. that was being discarded. the only trouble is trying to get it to bend nice with out the proper dies. but at least there is enough that I can practice and see what I like..

I have been looking at the brass rudder bushings that I put in the rudders, and I never really have liked them. the bushing is supposed be the weakest link, that can be replaced before other parts...
    I never really did look for bushings that would fit. just trying to everything in house as much as I can...
    so I have some blocks of UHMW and instead of purchasing some round stock. I made do with what I had. with the lathe, it took not to long to turn out 4 ea.
    at 5/8" outer dia. with a landing, plus a 1/2" shoulder to sit in the bracket. with a 27/64 hole for the 3/8" rod..
    I am really liking the attachments that I have with the lathe, it makes to nice, and once I get a process down. It flows rather smooth.
    so the process was
    1 get it centered in the 4 jaw chuck to knock off the corners and get a good bit of it round.
    2 put it in the 3 jaw chuck and turn a 1/2" by 3/16" lip on the end, that could fit in a 1/2" collet.
    3 change to the quick release collet chuck, use a 1/2"collet. to hole the snub. and turn it down to 5/8' outer dia.
    3A forgot to mention. about setting the stop so I could have a 3/8" landing or spacer. To fill the gap on each end of the rudder. it is a handy little tool to have. when doing multiple items that need the same space. after it is set up the first time. IF NOTHING changes.. you are good to go for multiple pieces.
    4 drill the 27/64 or oversized 3/8" hole for the shaft.

what a week, some things are finally starting to take shape.
    made my rudder rods, out of 3/8 ss tubing. welded a 1/2 ss nut on the top, and turned down the upper part of a 3/8 bolt to fit inside the tube, drilled a hole through the tubing and the bolt, then spot welded it. Thinking of just double nutting the bottom..
    almost done with the cage, traded out the old brass bushings, for the UHMW ones, note to self, brass is not aluminum friendly... you will see in the picture when it removed one of them... on a side note. the UHMW bushings pivot a lot smoother also...
    started using a unibit to ream out or debur the inside of the pipe. works real great. wish I had been doing that a long time ago.
    the rudders are turning real smooth. now the linkage...
    on a side note, I should have ran a plumb bob from the top of the cage to the center of the motor, the rudders are centered to the motor, but if you look close enough... just a little off....just another custom build...I didn't realize how far it was off, until I welded the 2 bars from the top of the cage to the top rudder rail..

I was looking at a Bobby's build, where he mentioned with the ultra prop. 16 degree blocks were keeping his motor at 3400. with getting the cage almost secure, I am getting ready to see what the 15 degree block will keep the RPMs at.. with the electronic ignition I can set the max RPM, I had it at 3600, but last week I changed it to 4000, just need to see what this prop will top out at..
    don't know if the warp drive 3 bladed prop will be any better where it had been trimmed to around 56.5 inches.
    either way, some new blocks and an angle gauge might be on order...
    really starting to look at a new razor X or maybe a powerfin prop.... don't know if a 2 bladed or a 3 bladed would be best. still looking..

yep, that is fresh snow on the mountain. it dropped down to about 4,000 feet yesterday...
    sorry about the pictures, they are upright in my files, but when they are uploaded here, some are going side-ways...
    Last edited by Bart; 09-21-2020 at 11:58 AM.