Thread: Redrive Built In House..

Threaded View

Redrive Built In House..

Well, a couple of weeks ago I went to post some updates on my redrive build, and I found out that it had to be removed do to problems that the site had. Do to the resent hacks.
    It was kind of fun to think about the progress that I had made. from not owning a lathe, and dreaming about making one vrs. purchasing one.
    the truth be told. with the time involved and parts and pieces, it would be money in the bank to have purchased one..
    but I have learned a lot, and it has been a fun and learning project.
    2 years ago if anyone had asked me to take a 2" threaded stud bolt and make a shaft for my driven pulley, I would have said good luck. but I did that yesterday.. I have came a long way..still have a ways to go.
    the design has been upgraded, changed and revised more than a few times.
    and by the time it is over, I should have 2 different styles
    1 with a brace only on the drive pulley, and the other with a full front plate.

so forgive me if I am jumping into the middle or tail end of this project. I may go back and fill in some of the blanks, but I didn't do to well at organizing the pictures at home with 2 different computers and picts, scattered all over the place...

So I had made a driven shaft, bearing holders for both the upper & lower front plate, but have been waiting on a friend with a mill to drill out the holes in the front plate. might happen yet...
    but the driven shaft had a slight problem, that taper was 0004 out. not good, i have been thinking about what went wrong with that for the last couple of months.
    finally I may have figured it out. I did not have my taper attachment plumb with the lathe bed. maybe in a few I will attempt it again.
    in the mean time this last week, I turned out 4 shafts, with 2 different styles. it has been an learning and growing experience. threading can be so simple. but one careless moment. what should be the end, turns out to be the beginning of the next one...
    the final one out of the stud bolt was some hard material. went through a few carbide inserts. and was doing the final threads 1-1/4 by 12 tpi. and the nut would start. so i ran a file over the top of the crown, then went to do a clean up pass with the lathe, and some how I had bumped something, and it was a 1/2 thread off....
    so now the final product has a groove that a set screw will set in to lock it in place. no need for a lock nut.
    I had the other style that was made out of a 1-1/4 shaft with a spacer to hold the pulley off of the back plate. and had put 1-14 threads on it. I really didn't like reducing the shaft for that thread size. so I found a 1-1/4-12 nut. and I am liking how it looks.
    ps. I pick up an old band saw. replaced some parts. and it cuts real nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images