Thread: Redrive Built In House..

Hybrid View

Re: Redrive Built In House..

well, winter is almost over, and it is getting nice to be outside and playing of this build some more. these last few months I have been watching some This Old Tony utube videos. On how to fab up some things so I thought I would give it a try on the bottom plate of the redrive, to see if it might work for me...
    so the first picture is of the outline sketched out of how I was wanting it to look like, then I drilled some holes around the outline, and as I was carring it over to the saw, it slipped out of my hands, and bounced off the wood floor. It came apart better than I could of ever hoped for.... I am going to have to try doing this on other things down the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

today was a good day, the sun was out. The snow is melting, even watched some awesome avalanches come down the mountains. from 6500 feet to sea level. it was a rocking and rolling. but through it all I was able to get a little work done. I had been putting off doing the final cut on the plates for this project for some time. the weather was just kind of miserable outside for most of the last 3 months. but I had to take advantage today...
    with so many loose ends on this project with the fan drive shroud, the redrive, every thing kind of ties together. and just need to get some things done in order, so I am not going back and redoing things...
    so I tackled the redrive today. and finally made the final cuts. on the plates, and put it on the 084 motor for the first time. all in all everything came together nicely, That monster nut on the back of the spindle fit, but it was close. to the intake..
    and the only thing left to do is make a little bracket to have a bolt push against the idler pulley bracket, to keep it tight....
    now with it mounted on the motor, I can start looking at building a stand for it.
    on the plus side of things, on the sunny days it is not getting dark util 10 pm now. and gaining 5 minutes a day. life is good.

the only thing that I am seeing is, not having a stand off on the corner next to the idler pulley, I may have to address that corner... the whole idea of having a plate on the outside of the drive pulley it to keep the any side load off the rear main bearing.
    down the road I hope to finish up the original design, with a full front plate, may I can get some milling time with my friend once this dang virus takes its course. only a couple of hours to bore out 2 holes..... but maybe I will be happy with this set up and leave well enough alone....

thought I would throw a picture of my simple set up for removing the stock flywheel. I loosened the bolt about 5 turns, snugged up the puller with a good amount of tension. gave the end of the puller bolt, one good hit with a hammer, and the flywheel popped right off. I like to leave the bolt on, for 2 reasons. I don't damage the threads, and the flywheel stays on the end of the crank, and doesn't bounce off the floor and break...just a little bit of stored energy....

the avalanche in the picture is a good 1 mile wide. there was a couple of people hiking below on a trail. But where off to the side of it. they had some good pictures of it.. it is pretty impressive to listen to the roar it makes..
    Last edited by Bart; 04-19-2020 at 04:05 AM.

HI Bart, Looks great !! One of the downfalls of the single plate design was that top pulley flexing... If you look at the old pics on here Chuck had run additional diagonal braces off the backside of the plate to try and keep the flex to a minimum.. That's how the dual plate set-up came into existence for the 084...
    That's a lot of snow coming down there.... I bet it gets everyone's attention when that rumble starts...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

[QUOTE=Corky;39337]HI Bart, Looks great !! One of the downfalls of the single plate design was that top pulley flexing... If you look at the old pics on here Chuck had run additional diagonal braces off the backside of the plate to try and keep the flex to a minimum.. That's how the dual plate set-up came into existence for the 084...

I can see that, in some of the searches, there have been a few that with the single plate. have had a few different styles of bracing, one even ran a piece of angle from the lifting eye to the back of the plate.
    I still am trying to combine with my friend to mill out the front plate with 2 front holes... so I could go with the original design.
    but in the meantime.. I figured that I better move forward with what I have. so I can go to the testing phase.. at the moment on plan is to use some 4" channel, going between the 2 plates and run up to the top of the back plate. on the odd cylinder side it is rather simple. but on the other side I got to contend with the idler pulley bracket.. This might keep a lot of the flexing at bay,
    another item that I have noticed, with the arrow prop, and circle S redrives. both are using only the lower 4 mounting bolts, with mine, it is using all 6.
    I do have the pulleys a little further apart at 8.5 inches center to center. part of that reason is just to be able to lower the CG down 2 more inches.
    At the moment this is looking for the best alternative.
    I was watching the video of Les's motor again, It is impressive how much torque with the prop, it puts on that stand. It can make a person stop and rethink some of the little things we are doing, when we are fabing things up.

I see where you're heading with this... I figured you had it under control......Keep up the good work !!

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I was going through some pictures the other day, and came across how I mated up the flywheel to the driven pulley, and thought I would share them.

when putting the flywheel on the pulley, the bolt circle was lining halfway on the inside diameter on the pulley,
    and if I moved the bolt circle diameter out, then it would interfere, or the socket head machine screws would go into the ribs on the pulley
    so we machined out a little hub to fit inside with a stand off to center the pulley on.
    the pulley screws are somewhat centered on the 2 pieces. and hold it together.
    the hardest part when matching the hub to the pulley, was at the time I didn't have a mic or calipers that were large enough to measure the dia., so we got it close then turned off 0.0001" at time. the old saying is if you take to much off, time to start over. and really didn't want to do that
    there could have been other ways to have done it. but at the time it looked the simplest...
    ps. after putting it all together this summer, I didn't have enough clearance for the end of the starter motor bendix, sometimes the math does not come out like you would think, but I was able to shave off 1/8" from the inside spacer. putting the flywheel closer to the pulley, and it is working good.
    sometimes a person lucks out...