Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing a Fan on the Rope Pulley

Re: Installing a Fan on the Rope Pulley

i don't know the cfm but at 2500 rpm it's not much. I think bart is on the right track i just hate to completely cover up the engine. There has to be a reason for the cooling problem always with #4 cylinder. I have had my sensors on all cylinders and none have the high temp that the # 4 cyl does. It just seems to me there is something more than air flow causing this. Casey's boat runs the same as mine but doesn' over heat. We put my cht gauge on his engine when he first built it to verify it. He ran it as hard as i run mine and it never got to 450. And i have read others with this engine doesn't have the problem either. If all else fails i've got another complete engine to try. Let us know what you come up with.

i don't know the cfm but with only 2500 rpm it's not much. I didn't add any shroud and i'm sure that would have made some difference. But i'm off in another direction now. I'm thinking with the right amount of ducting i can get enough air flow through cylinders. An automotive fan seems like a feasable way to go. And ther are rated to turn higher than we will ever need. Just not sure how much hp they will take away. The flex fan flattens out at higher rpm to hep with the hp but wil it keep cooling the engine. Well i guess thats what were here for. To find out. This last project was my worst 1 yet. But thats what its all about find out what will work and what won't. At least it keeps me busy.

Quote Originally Posted by bgmcl60 View Post
    There has to be a reason for the cooling problem always with #4 cylinder. I have had my sensors on all cylinders and none have the high temp that the # 4 cyl does. It just seems to me there is something more than air flow causing this. Casey's boat runs the same as mine but doesn' over heat. We put my cht gauge on his engine when he first built it to verify it. He ran it as hard as i run mine and it never got to 450. And i have read others with this engine doesn't have the problem either. If all else fails i've got another complete engine to try. Let us know what you come up with.
    I am thinking maybe some of the problem you might be having with the one problem cylinder getting hotter than the others. is it might need to be replaced. both the piston and cylinder. if it has the cast rings, it will egg shape the cylinder walls. I learned a lot last fall when visiting with the guys on the https://forums.g503.com/, John Emery sells matching set, piston, cylinder & chrome rings for 75.00. After looking around it is hard to beat that. and the biggest plus is the cylinder is custom machined to fit the piston. if you need his address or phone # let me know. both him and Charles Witt have been rebuilding the 2a042 motors, and should have some better insight on what might be causing the overheating issue

On a better note, I finally turned the key and my motor fired right up earlier this evening, with the fan shroud, the spark plug temps stayed right around 300 degrees, for the hour that I was running it. the thermistor that i plugged into the head,next to the valve stem springs, stayed around 180. if I remember right. this is without the prop on..
    I spent most of the time tonight getting the injectors dialed in somewhat.

as for how much drag the fan had on the motor, to me, I really didn't notice any, I did have a good positive flow of air exiting the openings on the bottom of the shrouds next to the exhaust. And when I did run the RPM's up to around 3000, I really didn't see any flex on the blades, "I still need to bolt the front edges to the side panels," It was just fun to see an idea work, where I put just a little time and thought into it.
    I am more curious to see what the temps do when I install the prop, and have a load on the motor....
    I just need to pick up a fresh battery, and then I can get you some better information.
    Last edited by Bart; 07-05-2020 at 01:56 PM.

bart i would appreciate the address to order a cylinder. That was my idea too about that cylinder staying 100 degrees hotter than the rest. Any inro on parts would be great. Not much on the internet. I had been debating going through this engine and replacing every i can get my hands on. It had been used alot before i got it. But still runs good. I'm glad you got yours squared away. Good luck to you and thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by bgmcl60 View Post
    bart i would appreciate the address to order a cylinder. That was my idea too about that cylinder staying 100 degrees hotter than the rest. Any inro on parts would be great. Not much on the internet. I had been debating going through this engine and replacing every i can get my hands on. It had been used alot before i got it. But still runs good. I'm glad you got yours squared away. Good luck to you and thanks again.

sent you a pm with John's contact info.

also here is a link to the some general tech info on the 2a042 motors, I have been able to pull up some great info, that has helped me out and understand some of the things I need to look out for. https://forums.g503.com/viewforum.php?f=148

The other day I cam across an 14" electric fan that the blade could be used as a pusher or a puller. and the motor is basically new.
    looked up the specs for it and it looks like it would draw around 9 amps. not to bad when i think of what my fuel pump draws around 6 amps. and the specs give it around 1288 of cfm.
    I never have took time to figure out the cfm for the 16" fan I have installed but the motor specd out at 23 amps.
    but I like how simple the blade on this 14" fan is to change from a pusher to a puller. but it doesn't have the out ring that my 16" has. so it might not be up to the higher rpm...
    down the road. thinking that the 042 motor that I have torn apart someday it would be fun to put fuel injection on it also...

http://www.dcm-mfg.com/pdf/axial/14/..._TA14S1004.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images   

https://youtu.be/6RnqhkQpdvE here is a video showing cht's after installing an automotive fan blade on the front pulley.