Thread: Installing a Fan on the Rope Pulley

Threaded View

Installing a Fan on the Rope Pulley

with fall/winter soon showing up. getting the motor on the boat looks like next spring. But I have been looking at a few different things, to help cool the heads on the 084 motor. I don't know how well it will work, but we will see how it goes.
    so last summer when tuning the motor, I had the stock fan mounted and pushing the air towards the motor, but with out the shrouds, it was kind of hit and miss...
    and the head temps were getting up there...
    I had an old 2A042 genset, and up to now I had nothing to compare the 084 head temps against... so I got it going, and with no load, but at 3600 rpms. & all the shrouding. the head temps are around 280 degrees. but as soon as I would remove the top cover. they would shoot up to around 400 in less than a minute. put the shroud back on and they would go down.
    then a few weeks ago I came across an video of Les Smoot's air plane, where he discussed a few things, he mentioned that with his arrow prop. at 3200 rpms. his head temps would stay around 400 to 420, but if the rpms went higher. so would his head temps.
    one really cannot compare the air flow on the motor when the air plane is using a puller prop. and the airboat is using a pusher prop.
    but it is food for thought...
    so in the quest of improving some small things, I am fabbing up a 15" fan onto the rope pulley..
    One thing to be thinking about down the road, is how I will be incorporating and belt driven alternator.
    also I am thinking it may not be enough just to have air flowing horizontal past the cylinders.. on these gensets, the air is exiting by the base head.
    and to do that I will need to add some shrouds, maybe..
    Anyway, it is nice to have a lathe to turn some of these things out. Just to see if they will work, a 3D printer would be fun also..
    the biggest thing is to keep everything concentric to the rope pulley. I am still thinking about how to install the fan shroud so it will keep things clear..
    but I have a few ideas..
    but at the moment with what I have done, it is looking like the leading edge of the shroud will only be 2.5 inches in front of the pulley. and that is better than I thought. with the parts I have. I really cant see getting it any closer..
    I did come across a link with pictures of how one built shrouds for his 084 motor that he has on his plane. It is just fun to start finding more threads on what others have done..
    if this works great, if not, at least it was attempted..
    Attached Images Attached Images