Thread: 4A084 inline motor rebuild

Hybrid View

Re: 4A084 inline motor rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Yeah, that's some sludge build-up in there !!...I wouldn't have expected that either...I bought an extra crank with all the bearings from Saturn Surplus..Now if I could only find an NOS camshaft I'd feel better...Especially after reading about the camshaft bearing failure being common..
    yep. if my memory is correct. I called a day to late to get a crankshaft from Saturn Surplus, last fall. They sold their last one an day earlier.. I haven't called since to see if they restocked.. and they never had a camshaft in stock, at least for the last couple of years that I have purchased parts from them..

that is one thing that I did not do yet is to update the camshaft bearing. "or apply some loctite like what is recommended.
    https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=265091

I thought that I would attempt to take the gear wheel off one of my 2A042 camshafts. with the pullers that I had, it really was not working. I sent some pictures of what I was doing to Charles Witt. to get some advise.
    found out I was using the wrong puller. I am needing to get a bearing puller, like the one below. which I didn't have at the time.

also. I started thinking about once I have the gear off, where it is a good press fit on. How am I going to put it back together???
    I asked Charles about this. his thought, if I remember was I might need some heat on the gear so it would slide on..
    "What he does with the 2A042 motors, is just buy a new camshaft assemble with the new bushing and gear installed."
    so with the lack of 084 camshafts available. I am kind of leery about messing up the only camshaft.

I may still take out the camshaft and at least apply some loctite to the outer bushing. as I think more about it. It should be something I should address... or it will be something always on the back of my mind...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Bart; 10-30-2019 at 11:31 PM.