Thread: 084 Operating Head Temps

Threaded View

084 Operating Head Temps

OK, so now that I'm up and running with the daily fishing and general cruising there's some questions...The max operating range for the 084 head temp is supposed to be 475*...And if I stay below 3000 rpms it'll hold steady for the most part around that temp...But with the circle s redrive I have the ability to run at 3700 rpms...And so far I can only do short bursts of anything above 3200 rpms or so without the temps heading north of 500*
    I'm not looking to be a speed demon on the river..And it stays on plane well below 3000 rpms even with two people and I have no issues what so ever with performance,weight,etc...I guess what I'm trying to do is add a little more durability at the upper rpm range for extended times like shooting through rapids,emergency situations and/or maneuvering without constantly looking at that darn CHT gauge...
    Yes I'm a worry wort and without that gauge I would never know there's a problem the engine oil temp gauge is steady at 175 but the heads tell a different story...And knowing just how easy it is to drop that valve seat out of the head from overheating makes me worry...
    Anyhow, here's my theory on how to possibly get those head temps down..

1} install a larger oil cooler
    2} install the large capacity {1qt} oil filter
    3}add cooling fins to that oil filter

As you can see it's all about the engine oil taking the burden of cooling the engine..
    Trouble is the oil temps really aren't that high at 175*

Here's another round of possible mods :
    A} direct some of the air flow from around the operators seat directly to the heads but just how much is too much that it cuts down on thrust is anyone's guess..
    B}Add some type of head cooling fin extensions to get more head dissipation
    C}Have the head combustion chamber coated with a heat barrier coating to direct the heat out the header..
    D} And the over the top approach would be to somehow add water cooling between the head's fins..Be it some type of tubing with seawater being pumped to and from the system or even a direct water spray which would probably create serious heat related issues with hotspots..

Any thoughts or other approaches from anyone ?
    Last edited by Corky; 09-01-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop