Thread: Exhaust Pipe, with a nice Orange Glow

Threaded View

Exhaust Pipe, with a nice Orange Glow

so a few years back, when I first started up my STOCK new, used motor, with an unknown history.
    after running the throttle, I noticed that the exhaust to the #2 cylinder was starting to glow. With out having any diagnostic tools at the time. I just assumed that this was coming from an leaky intake tube gasket..
    well today, after getting most of my ducks in a row, I was able to finally run the motor, and play around with it at a few different RPM's. and guess what. I looked over at the exhaust, and coming off of #2 was an nice orange glow. just a little bit hot. and not quite normal.
    the IR gun was reading 350+ degrees,
    the other side was at a cool 270 degrees.
    well this is not good.

from my limited experience, and without taking off the cylinder yet, I am thinking that this might be a weak exhaust valve spring. at least a weak spring would cause the valve to float and allow more than a little heat to enter into the exhaust.
    I am just hoping that where I still had good compression, before today. that I haven't lost the valve seat.
    this is just one of the little nuances, that can keep a person guessing.
    where I am seeing a little orange at the base of #4 pipe also. I don't know it there might be 2 problem children,
    the heat might have been migrating back up the tube...
    but it is nice to have a picture to make one think. but it might be good, time will tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images