Thread: oil filter adapter

oil filter adapter

I installed an oil filter adapter on my 084 to use a spin on filter. Cranked it up and all looked fine with no leaks. When i got on the water i noticed the power was lower than normal and would only turn 3200 rpm. I turned around and back to launch and noticed lifters on no 1 cylinder was ratteling as if i had just cranked it up and not warmed up. The cht's were like 350*. i loaded the boat up and at home i took no1 valve cover off and found both lifters collapsed. Replaced both lifters and ran at different rpm for about 20 minutes and lifters would not build up.i hadn't done anything but replaced the adapter and changed oil to rotella 15/40. so i put the old cartridge type adapter back on and even with the adapter was empty and also didn' t have a fiter cranked up and as soon as the oil pressure built up the lifter noise was gone and my normal rpm of 3900 was back. What can go wrong by changing the adapter to spin on type filter? New napa gold filter. Didn't remove the gasket from block. It was stuck to block all passages in adapter are open and pattern of holes are exactly the same. Any thoughts to help me figure out what i did wrong. Oardered 2 new insert filters for it and put 1 in where it had been left out sometime ago.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Re: oil filter adapter

Strange... My first guess would have been casting flash or a smaller than normal passage...What's left..Not much,there's no imperfection in the filter itself ???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

i don't know what is going on with this adapter. i put it on an extra timing cover i have and it looks like every thing fit perfect. by the way this adapter came off an engine i purchased with a dropped valve seat. might have been what caused that too. i'm going to do a few more test with the adaptor just to see what is happening. if i figure it out i'll post findings.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

That doesn't sound fun at all, Looking back at some pictures I posted a while back, where I traced out the oil galleys and passages on a 2A042 motor. http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...stem-questions
    On the 10th comment,
    From looking at the pictures, I would be curious as to what the oil pressure was reading, when it returns back to motor after the oil fitter. Where once you went back to the original set up, every thing went back to normal.
    Something changed, and you were not getting enough oil volume to feed the #1 lifters, which might have been affecting the main bearings on the front half on the motor also, glad that you stopped when you did.
    at least from what I am thinking, The oil pressure may have been reading correct, but something was restricting the return volume.
    Question, on the motor that dropped the valve, what cylinder was that in?
    One thought, I know on rubber brake lines if they overheat, they can collapse, and restrict the flow enough that your brakes will not release. Just an abstract thought.
    This has really got my curiosity going, of what changed, between the 2 setups.

It was also no 1 cylinder on the other engine that had the valve seat problem. It was one of the engines we bought for casey's airboat. The oil pressure read the same 40 pounds at idle by my consol gauge and also the gauge on top of the front timing cover where the oil lines attach.going to rig up a pressure tank and run some oil in where the oil cooler connects and se how much oil comes out of the side that goes back to engine. The oil filter that originally came off the adapter was full of fine metal shavings. Iooked like bearing material. When i took the cartridge filter apart it was full of oil but when i unscrewed the screw on filter it was about half full. Oil should have been runing out like tyey norrmally do. It's possible there is some kind of blockage in filter. It was new just bought it. Going to get a different brand and try that.