Thread: Efi retrofit for the 084 motor

Threaded View

Efi retrofit for the 084 motor

Ever since I purchased my 084 motor and started researching what has been done with it. I was really impressed reading about Les Smoot's EFI version. I even have contacted http://www.sdsefi.com/ to see what all they have to offer. but this was still more or less a pipe dream.

Then last spring a new member Armorer243, introduced us to the Speeduino EMS/ECU set up. https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Overview
    He went as far as to start the show that it is possible to use something besides the magneto to make this little motor run.

So for this past 8 months I have been reading and trying to get somewhat familiar with the lingo and technology, needed to even attempt this.
    there has been a few sidetracks along the way, that have and will be a plus for this project,
    I came across a smaller south bend lathe, that still is big enough to turn out most of the items that i will be needing for this endeavor.
    and there are the ever-present honey do list around the house. that keep postponing other things.

But when you add up what is needed, it can be kind of intimidating at times. but when it is listed out,m and most of the single items are doable, by them selves.

to do the stand alone ignition is the simplest, part to put together. all that is needed is the following

A. the Speeduino EMS/ECU board
    B. a crank sensor & a trigger wheel
    C. LS7 coils
    D. a waterproof housing for the EMS/ECU, + water tight plugs

to add the EFI to the mix is just a little more. sometimes it is a lot more.

E. O2 sensor
    F. throttle body with TPS & idle control valve?
    G. Injectors (there are many discussions as to what size)
    H. Injector support, like boss bungs, hoses, fuel manifold block, high pressure fuel pump & regulator, (in-tank or external fuel pump depending on your application ) fuse & relay block,
    I. an asortment of sensors, air temperature, oil pressure. maybe oil temp. in place of the water temp sensor. or a head temp sensor also.
    the ECU comes with a MAP sensor installed on it. do not know if there is a way to mount a knock sensor on the motor yet.

there will be some other items needed, but as far as i can tell this is pretty much close to everything needed.
    there is one plus, the speeduino uses the TunerStudio firmware http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/tuner-studio
    they have a simple version that can be down loaded for free, but if an registered version is purchased, it has an O2 based autotune. which would save big time in mapping out the injectors.

an other plus is my oldest son is learning Instrumentation for his career, and he will be a big help if getting the firmware set up correctly. at least I hope he is willing to help me out.

so at the moment what i have on hand and am in the process of fabbing up.
    are
    crank trigger wheel, still need to make bracket for the sensor
    injectors, went with the model that SDS recommended. a 330 size model # IWP043, I could have purchased the bosses, but am in the process of turning them out on my lathe
    throttle body & intake manifold. used a 50mm throttle body off a Saturn.
    fuel pump assembly purchased a in-tank pump, regulator, & hoses that came off a 2008 Polaris RMK 600
    O2 wide band sensor, oil pressure and the other sensors.
    will be getting the speediuno board next week (Christmas present from my better half)

don't get me wrong, the list seems simple enough, but when fabing up most of the items, there is a time thing involved and it depends on how much, or how detailed i want to get.

list of items on the need to do list or purchase list
    have material, fab up a aluminum tank
    decide on what style of fuel hoses to run, may just use, hose barbs and black fuel line at the moment, then switch to AN style fitting later or stainless tube with compression fittings
    relay juntion block to run some of the electrical circuits off of. mainly fuel pump, ignition & lighting at the moment.
    an assortment of water tight plugs for the various connections.
    i just wish there was more time in the day. but if i can stay on somewhat of a schedule, i am shooting for the end of February to turn the key.
    Attached Images Attached Images