Thread: DLE 222 on a Mini?

DLE 222 on a Mini?

Hello, this DLE 222 is a flat four, gas, 2 stroke , r/c engine that has a good reputation in the large scale R/C world. And those are hard to get...a good reputation in the r/c world.
    12 lbs !!!!!!! , 16 lbs with the prop, mufflers, carbs, ignition ! 21 HP !!!!!!
    And.... only $ 1650, new!
    This is screaming for an Ultralite Mini build..swings a 34” prop at 6500 rpms, pushing 140 lbs of thrust. That’s the same thrust as my paramotor with a 48” prop swinging 3500 rpm’s. .....and $5000 cheaper, 35 lbs lighter, smaller cage, and the nice props are only $75 !!, instead of $750.
    Any thoughts?.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: DLE 222 on a Mini?

Sounds interesting... but you need to get the revs down from 6500... Start looking for a belt drive system at 2:1 or better.
    kent

Hi Kent, no need for gearing on this one. Direct drive with a smaller prop.

I thought I replied to this but I guess I didn't...What's the projected lifespan on an engine like that ?? So the prop is designed for those high RPMs? What's the fuel consumption rate ?? And lastly, Is there a starter for this engine ??

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Hi Corky,
    so, I read A lot of forums to answer these questions.
    Since 2010 and the release of the v3 engine. Life expectancy is very good. Thousands of flights on engines and still going good. Aftermarket rings and reeds have also helped with lifespan.
    Fuel burn was hard to find, approx 1 gallon per hour. ( my paramotor does 3/4 gph at full throttle.)
    prop speeds seem to be best right about 6000 rpm for a 34x12 Mej prop. Anymore than that and it’s just slipping/ cavitating.
    An electric starter can be made but is not widely used as no modeler in there right mind would put an electric starter on their plane.
    Watch some YouTube videos of this engine on some giant scale planes. Sounds amazing.