Thread: Winter battery tender on your car???

Winter battery tender on your car???

Ever wonder???Up here in the cold plains of Montana, your car can need some help.

The early , dark cold mornings can be rough on a car's motor and starting system. Often times I don't run the car/ truck to get it all warm and charged back up, sooner or later you can run out of battery. I don't put either in a garage, a car port is as good as it gets. I DO plug in the "tank" , frost plug , heater in as soon as I park it for the night. I have a battery Blanket on the car that plugs in with the heater. You think a Battery tender would be cheep insurance?
    I have a tender on both boats that stay plugged in all year when not in use. The "big " boat has 4 batteries that stay in all year, 3 Optima that are for trolling and are 18 years old. The BOAT battery is a glass mat used for starting and is 5 years old, I think the tender is the reason . But on a car/truck I would tie it in to the same plug as the heater And it would rum all night every winter night.

I can get two 1.5 amp. tenders on Amazon for $34 bucks ,free freight, one for each vehicle. Think it is worth the effort ?

Re: Winter battery tender on your car???

my opinion is yes.if you let almost any battery sit without charging they don't last near as long. i keep a trickle charger on my boat batteries even down here where the temp rarely ever reach freezing. but if a battery dies it's usually in the winter time. a sudden change of temperature kills most.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

I agree a low amp battery maintainer is a good idea to keep the battery at it's peak condition..

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

We drive the car and truck almost every day to work, then they sit out side there and we drive home,
    Maybe 2 miles .
    I have them on order, they cant hurt.