Thread: Alaskan mini build

Hybrid View

Re: Alaskan mini build

Hi Bart,
    Traditionally 2 stroke engines don’t have carb icing problems , unless the carb is feeding both cylinders. When it is 1 carb, to 1 cylinder the pressure differences between strokes prohibits ice formation. My buddy has a cuyuna on his quicksilver ultralight and had to switch to dual carbs or not fly in the winter.
    I only have a head temp sensor, no egt. The problem is amplified because I am running 100LL avgas. Very hard to get the plug dirty enough to read the color !
    I switched from a diaphragm carb to a bowl carb. The thing vibrates like crazy, floods , overfills the carb and there’s is no way it is atomizing the mixture properly. If I can’t get the vibration under control, will have to go back to the diaphragm carb.
    Thanks for the reply, hope you and yours enjoy your holiday as well.
    Im getting pretty excited about getting it dialed in after seeing that is going to work.
    Cheers!

Just finished the second real test. Adjusted the thrust line to 2* up. It made a huge difference! Gets and stays on plane ( on snow) at 60% throttle. Steering is greatly improved with the dual rudders and corrected thrust line. Drives just like I thought an airboat should. Use weight shift to decide between slide or carve through a turn. Got the carb issues worked out and am now getting full thrust and rpm’s from the engine. Would say I achieved 90% of performance goals at this point. Really stoked !

First water test are a success !
    Handles like it’s on rails. I am Very pleased with the steering, weight shift and control. I instantly felt like a pro in it. Can slide gracefully, spin instantly and carve exactly where you want it to go.
    Needs more power or some more fine tuning to get it on step faster. But once on step it moves along really nice.
    my buddy liked it so much yesterday...we’re building him one starting today !
    really bad videos on YouTube , mini airboat 1st water and mini airboat water test.
    easier to look up YouTube, jay smith mini airboat
    Last edited by Jssflyer; 04-05-2019 at 12:23 PM.