Thread: SOUTH BEND MODEL B 9 x 36 LATHE RENOVATION

SOUTH BEND MODEL B 9 x 36 LATHE RENOVATION

this last summer I came across an ad on craigslist for a older south bend lathe that needed a little TLC. It was located in Fairbanks Alaska, just a little ways away. with the help of a few friends I was able to acquire possession of it.
    it had been sitting for the last 40 years, the gentleman that I purchased it from. who when he had purchased it back in the late 60's had good intentions, but time got away.
    I still am amazed that all of the attachments and accessories were still with it.
    where it has been idle for all that time, and a lot of wood dust covering it, it was completely dissembled, some new paint. and reassembled.
    glad I took the time to do that, there was just a few places that 40+ year old oil needed to be removed, along with all the saw dust that had settled in the apron and gear box. ( the original owner upgraded this with an gear box )
    I will be upgrading a few of the guards and other items, to the latest version, that South Bend had been making for this model. the original guard just had an opening that looked like a thumb catcher, and also relocating the on/off switch to the top of the other guard, seems to clean it up a lot better. still needing to install an emergency shut off switch, and install an automotive serpentine belt inplace of the 80 year old leather belt.
    still cant believe how quiet this is when running.

also upgrading from the tool post lantern, to a quick change tool post. Along with a few other items.
    the lathe came in very good condition, and last night I turned it on for the first time, and made some chips. compared to my little Craftsman 109, it is night and day difference, what would have taken over an hour to do, i was able to turn out in less than 5 minutes.

the next biggest hurdle will be to convince my better half, that i need a corner in the utility room to set it up. it is just no fun working in an unheated shed during the winter.
    I am really getting excited about having this piece of equipment, that i will be able to use at my leisure. (maybe now i will be able to finish up just a few of my airboat projects.

ps. thanks to my friend for letting my use his garage to go through and clean up this lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Bart; 08-26-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Re: SOUTH BEND MODEL B 9 x 36 LATHE RENOVATION

Very Nice !!!!

all i can say is wow. talking about a work horse. it sure cleaned up nice. with all the attachments there is no limit what you can do. keep wishing i had saved my money and bought a larger one myself. at least i can learn on my tiny lathe. only handles like 3 in diameter work. i am proud for you grabbing this gem.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Nice clean up...It'll probably outlast all of us...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop