Thread: Identification help?

Identification help?

An opportunity has popped up, and I think I may just attend this auction.
    The listing has me questioning their identification of the airboat, and I'm wondering if anyone can I.D. this thing. I haven't been able to find anything on Google.

The link: https://www.auctiontime.com/listings...43/1980-custom

I know, I run the risk of someone else here bidding against me, but I need the I.D. assistance.

Roger

Re: Identification help?

I'm not sure of the brand hull just by the pic it could be one of the mini pros or something a little bigger like a small hamant or ridge runner hull. But if you want a hull i wouldn't worry about what brand it is. It's not 1980 I would guess 2000's. It looks like a good hull for around 100hp or a 4.3L Chevy. It looks like a Ford motor you don't usually see them on airboats. That set up looks a little top heavy and the motor stand looks like it was built for something else then modified. Also not the best looking gas tank. It could be a good starter boat just make sure it's cheap enough that you can replace the motor if needed or wanted and the trailer probably isn't worth much without knowing anything about it as is. I would try to stay around 1000 - 1500. Add up the used price of the main parts that's there and see what is worth to you like the hull, prop, metal work, Ford prop adapter, seats, gauges, and rudders. Sometimes it's not cheaper to buy a used boat then to build one.

It's got a GM HEI distributor,GM alternator , and GM aircleaner... I'm guessing it's a gm engine... Not enough pics to tell the hull manufacturer for me either... Yes it's up there with the center of gravity..

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Yeah.....the seat height was the first thing I noticed. If that thing turns turtle, you'd need an airlift to get it out of the mud.
    I hear what both of you are saying. I was thinking along the lines of a builder hull, rather than a ready-to-use boat.

We'll see.....Roger

I was just going off the distributor being in the front of the engine and not the back and figured they used Chevy parts to make life easier i don't know much about car motors to many cylinders for me lol. I think that hull would be a good one to start with and you could probally reuse the cage still and build around it

While looking at some pictures i believe that motor is a 3.8 Buick which is probally a good little motor for that boat. I hope you get it for a good deal.