Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 084

Turbo 084

got my turbo in and made the carb mount and intake. going to go suck through for now just to see if it is feasible. maybe not but maybe. it's a t3 turbo and a little big but something to start with. going to use flex hose to run exhaust to 4 into 1 to turbo.waiting for oil supply hoses and adapters to hook up to oil feed. already built a 3 legged mount and bolted it to engine for turbo to sit on. it sits about 6in above engine and should help with the heat. this is all a rough fit just to try it not to run with. if i can get 10hp out of it i will rebuild it and use solid pipe and may use a t15 turbo a little smaller. if i get the efi and electronic ign it will have to go blow through
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Re: Turbo 084

I'm interested in how this works out. Especially with cylinder head temps and the increased pressures associated with the turbo. Looking forward to updates!

Excellent project Bobby !! I'm excited to see how this turns out...It sure appears to be the easiest route for some quick HP...And the compression is low enough for some good boost to be used...As armorer 243 has stated, the temps will be a big factor...I've been wondering on just how to incorporate an oil cooler that would be water cooled...Something out of harms way but using the passing water to quickly drop the oil temps with every cycle through the system...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Ah good to see this! I'm one project away from starting mine. I finally got the jeep done and started putting tonys boat back together. I need to get mine out and run it to make sure it's running right before I start. The rivers not cooperating right now
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Yeah, the river looks like chocolate milk...Running high with all kinds of debris... I need to get both of mine out for the season soon also...The weather hasn't been kind to us this season so far....

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I cranked it up today after installing an 02 sensor in the exhaust pipe. cranked right up no problem and idled good idling at 18 percent way too lean so i adjusted the air mixture and brought it down to 13 percent. started opening it up a little and at 2000 rpm it went back lean like 18 to 19 percent. so i shut it down and tried the 32/36 weber on it. same thing running lean at idle and idle mixture fixed that but on acceleration leaned out to 18 to 19 percent on wide band gauge. i sprayed brake cleaner everywhere and no leaks found. i had another 2 barrel to try the 38/38 which it ran rich at idle before and couldn't get it to lean out. it ran at 12 percent and around 13 percent wide open. so that won't kill the engine. the turbo is way too big. with all this i never seen any boost show on vacuum/boost gauge. my conclusion was the turbo was working adding extra air to system but no boost. the good part i gained 500 rpm from before turbo was installed. it would a max of 3400 rpm with turbo and no boost showing it turns 3900 rpm. if i left this turbo on i would have to add some pitch in the 3 blade razor x 65 in prop with belt drive. i'm ordering a smaller turbo friday and give that a try. gaining 500 rpm would tickle most people but i want to see some actual boost on the gauge and this thing is like way too heavy maybe 25 to 30 lb with the bracing and all. they say the vz21 turbo weighs like 6 lb. getting some actual boost will set this 084 on fire not actually but just an expression and all the running it i never saw the cht over 400. oh and the turbo line kit comes with a restrictor to keep from loosing to much oil pressure. mine stayed around 40 to 45.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 05-28-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Sounds like having the wide band, is worth its weight in gold. it great that the CHT never passed 400.
    on the oil line feeding the turbo, did you have it wide open, and the restrictor plate did the job. that's great.
    sometimes i have been wondering, until recently there hasn't been much documentation with the wide band on this motor, every body had just been going off the CHT gauge.
    but with your wide band, you are knowing exactly what the fuel ratio is and can adjust accordingly. it sounds like it is saving a lot of time, and taking the guessing game out of the picture. and with 3 different carb set ups. it gives you a good variety to work with.
    we all know that more HP takes more fuel, and a lean mixture makes heat.
    i need to get on the ball, cause you are leaving me in the dust big time.
    keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Bart; 05-28-2018 at 05:33 PM.

if you ever add a turbo you will need a wide band gauge. even without any boost just a little push of air really leans thing out. if you don't know this you could make an 084 wipe out like big time and never seeing it coming. the first carbs were jetted to the t and ran good air fuel rato but the turbo changed all that. may be another reason to get efi so to be able to tune a/f ratio setting without adding anything. i run it wide open for at least 30 seonds and the cht got to 400 on right and 350 on left side. i don't plan on running it hard just nice to know you got something extra when you need it. i am very consertative when it comes to driving an airboat. things can go wrong in a heart beat and you have to be on guard.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Most turbo are set up to spool at about 2500-3000 rpms. I got a smaller turbo hoping it would spool faster. I also wanted to eliminate any lag.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Exactly why i'm ordering a smaller one. From what i have read the vz21 is too small so the t15 should be just about right.

Sent from my SM-G935VC using Tapatalk
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

i was looking at ebay on the GT15 Turbo, and i seen this fitting that went with it, is this the restrictor?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/GT15-T15-Tu...-/270841642167
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No that is the hose and fange for the drain side. The restrictor looks the same but it is for the pressure side. The inside of the inlet flange tapers down to a few thousands in size to restrict the oil flow. They also have them that screws into the turbo body. I didn't see any drop in oil presure in mine but didn't run it for more than a few minutes.

4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

So now that this project is taking off, I have a question for you. Would you be interested in EFI if there was a guy that built an ECU with boost control built in? That is, assuming your solenoid is compatible.

https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Boost_Control

Just throwing it out there.

Yes i would be interested but i need to make sure this is what i want. Need to run the turbo setup first and see what happens.

4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

bart i was reading your post about the restrictor and i didn't see the picture. yes that is the restrictor but the one i got for the t3 turbo didn't look like that and wouldn't fit the oil input hole on turbo so i ordered a an input flange with restrictor built in. the only thing it needs the restrictor before the turbo input line. the output is just sent back to engine gravity flow. the turbo is supposed to be higher than the oil pan so oil can flow back to engine. i mounted a fitting at the inspection plate for cam gear for return oil.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Quote Originally Posted by armorer243 View Post
    So now that this project is taking off, I have a question for you. Would you be interested in EFI if there was a guy that built an ECU with boost control built in? That is, assuming your solenoid is compatible.

https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Boost_Control

Just throwing it out there.
    That's a nice feature !! I'll be watching this and Papee's turbo build coming up...I've got high expectations with this turbo adding some performance to the 084...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

i got the gt15 turbo in and mounted it basically the same place the t3 was mounted. i did the exhaust a little different. i used the factory headers and blocked off the left side. using it like an auto with single exhaust. i ran a pipe from the right side to the turbo exhaust input. i'm still not sure i didn't loose some pressure from using 1 single pipe but works just fine. got a vacuum leak at carb base gasket i got to fix but ran good enough to try. now i got over 3 pounds of boost and 200 more rpms than with the larger turbo. turning 4200 now and i need to pitch the prop to 3600 where i feel safe running it. also need to rejet the carb back in acceptable range. well worth the time and money spent. remember the factory exhaust has a cross over pipe running to the other side so i'm not running it from 2 cylinders but 4 with the cross over which i think is too small of a pipe.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 06-12-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

I may have to see if my engineer friend could help out with the math on the size of pipe needed.
    i know that in the stock form, these motors used the cross over pipe. and one muffler, and needed about 20 inches of back pressure. which i figured would be around 2 to 3 pounds. (need to look at my notes again.) but with the added boost & volume of air with using the gt15 turbo.
    the only measurement that i remember is that the cross over pipe & the 4 down pipes coming off the heads have an inside diameter of .93"
    but it looks like you are having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bgmcl60 View Post
    remember the factory exhaust has a cross over pipe running to the other side so i'm not running it from 2 cylinders but 4 with the cross over which i think is too small of a pipe.

I think you are right, that tiny crossover handling two of the cylinders seems awfully restrictive. However I do recall someone mentioning that the engine does like a bit of backpressure. Can't remember who posted it, but I think that tiny crossover is a bit on the conservative side, especially when you need that flow to spin the turbo.

with a prospect of being able to incorporate an EFI system, into the 084 motor. an intercooler, could be a way to help control some of the heat issue.
    anyway, just a thought to bounce around.