Thread: building a prop adapter for an arrow belt drive

building a prop adapter for an arrow belt drive

when i got my arrow belt drive they wanted 60.00 dollars for the adapter and i said no way. i bought a 1" thick by 5" wide round piece of aluminum for 12.75 dollars. took the top pulley and sat it on the 5" piece of aluminum and aligned it to the pulley and drilled the holes through the plate using the pulley holes for the template. i took my face plate and aligned the rotax bolt pattern with the pulley and drilled the pattern. the face plate had both the arrow belt drive pattern and the rotax pattern. so just bolted the plate to the faceplate and drilled the remaining rotax pattern. didn't have any fancy equipment to align everything up perfect so i enlarged the arrow pattern holes 1 drill bit size to let me fine tune it when assembled. works as good as a 60.00 dollar adapter and less money.
    https://youtu.be/30iFvlQd0rw
    https://youtu.be/8uQOTxhVA7U
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Re: building a prop adapter for an arrow belt drive

forgot this one.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

dang, when i watch the first video, my first thought was wow! i wouldn't want to meet you on a dark alley, when you can spin the motor over, with so little effort. you must be hiding them biceps.
    then i realized you had taken the belt off.
    it looks like you cant get much closer than that in centering the hub.
    i am still working on my redrive, tomorrow night should get most of the plans finished and drawn up. but my then my friend with the lathe and mill will be gone for the next 3 weeks on vacation. but i have been learning a lot from my engineer friend. on a few things that i should have done different.
    that weather looks nice, woke up this morning with 3 inches of fresh snow. go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    dang, when i watch the first video, my first thought was wow! i wouldn't want to meet you on a dark alley, when you can spin the motor over, with so little effort. you must be hiding them biceps.
    then i realized you had taken the belt off.
    it looks like you cant get much closer than that in centering the hub.
    i am still working on my redrive, tomorrow night should get most of the plans finished and drawn up. but my then my friend with the lathe and mill will be gone for the next 3 weeks on vacation. but i have been learning a lot from my engineer friend. on a few things that i should have done different.
    that weather looks nice, woke up this morning with 3 inches of fresh snow. go figure.
    That is what it's all about for me. Learning new things and the challenge of building something keeps me going.

Sent from my SM-G935VC using Tapatalk
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Nice fab work...That's as close as it gets using the basic tools...That 3 blade razor prop sure looks good on there...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Quote Originally Posted by bgmcl60 View Post
    works as good as a 60.00 dollar adapter and less money.
    Maybe, maybe not. There are differences in aluminum grades, and what you made yours out of might not have the same strength as the store-bought piece. OTOH, your fabrication might also be just fine, or better than the $60 dollar one. Can't tell without some testing and engineering work.

Even a plastic drum will work for a burn barrel......one time......just sayin'

Roger

You are correct there are the 7 main grades of aluminum, with different characteristics & traits.
    https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/7-...luminum-grade/
    depending on what the application that you are wanting to do. the most common grade of rounds that are sold is the 6061 series.
    as always, when dealing with a rotating mass, concentric alignment and balance is one of the main concerns that should always addressed. whether we turn out the part ourselves or it is purchased from a vender,
    When working with trucks and heavy equipment, I always inspect it before driving down the road, i have a few friends that have small airplanes, and they always inspect the plane before taking off,
    i hope that all of us, are taking time to look at, and inspect our airboats or (toy of the day), before running them.
    whether we turned out the parts ourselves or purchased them.
    if it is anything like my snowmachines, they are running the best ever, right before the motor fails.
    Last edited by Bart; 04-28-2018 at 12:26 PM.

the aluminum was 6061 and i believe it passes most of the qualifications needed for a prop adapter. i have seen other adapters made from 6061 and cost a lot more money. not aerospace aluminum but i feel safe using it and didn't have to pay for all the testing to see if it would pass.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

all of the parts that i have turned out on the drill press, lathe & mill are out of 6061 also. at times if i look at it like i was paying me for my time. i would really be in the hole. but my knowledge and eye for detail has really improved since i started fabing up parts and pieces for my airboat and other toys.
    it also gives me a lot of pride to take a piece of metal and make something useful out of it.

circle S...No mistaking what it was made from...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop