Thread: Thrust ?

Thrust ?

What kind of " thrust" are you guys getting ?
    Then What does " thrust" mean?
    Can any one translate in to a term I can relate to?
    Example :
    500 pounds of thrust
    Is that a lot or more like a fan?
    I know there are a LOT of variables and formulas to
    Find thrust all of which are WAY over my head.
    WHAT the heck is a Newton anyway ?

Re: Thrust ?

I feel about the same way but I think basically if you mounted the prop and motor to a free rolling stand and a pull scale hooked to it and seeing how much it can pull or push. But that's not everything airspeed is also a big factor these are not real numbers but let's say one prop can have 200lbs/ thrust and 100mph winds while another prop can have the same 200lbs/ and half the speed. Just to make things more difficult to wrap our heads around. To get an idea of how much thrust/hp some get look at the graphs ultra prop have. http://www.competitionaircraft.com/charts.html according to that I'm getting 35hp about 180lbs/ thrust.

So from that chart.
    50Hp, 59" ,10* 3 blade prop at 3000 rpm
    Is like 275 pounds static thrust , Like my
    Bug set up.
    Is that Good or wimpy?

It's hard to say if it's enough until you try it, but the numbers sound good. If I could get those numbers out of mine it would probably go over the dike here, it's 25' tall and fairly steep. When we were running the 0-84s the ultra prop worked great on mine but wouldn't work on the other boat he had an ivo that worked for him but not me. So it's hard to guess what will work

dang, i haven't looked at this chart for a while. looking at the set up i have with a 4 bladed prop. with 14 degree blocks, with a 2200 prop speed. it puts my set up at around 225 lbs of thrust. when the motor is at 6000 rpms. that isn't to bad, now if i could get my motor so it will not flood out this next summer. that would be awesome.

I was looking at the graph and if I go to 14deg it will bring my rpm down around 2800rpm and give me about 200lbs of thrust. Right now I have 52" three blade with 12deg turning 3000rpm. Then I will have room to gain HP when I get the cam. I love being able to change the pitch when needed.