Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new guy looking for ideas

Re: new guy looking for ideas

latest update on the journey,
    Got a really cheap deal on a repairable fiberglass hull made for a Mini. It's 11"6" X 5' at the chines, 6' on top. I can actually move it by myself, so that's already an improvement over my narrow (45") 16' double hull jon boat! I don't have a TIG setup yet, and I can work fiberglass, so it's forward progress. I'll be looking for a deal on a redrive and prop in the future, as finances permit, and now I want to build a hull from the ground up, seems to be a common progression of the disease. I'm reworking 2 dings on the sides from lawnmowers , 1 rotten gusset, plugging rigging holes in the transom, replacing the stringers, & paint/ gelcoat. Yes, at this time in my life I have more time than money, so I'm walking the labor intensive route, and, actually having fun with it.
    Anybody ever heard of The Yard in Wichita KS? Years ago, I used to buy aircraft salvage aluminum there, they sell everything by the pound. Built trailers and all kinds of stuff when I lived there, didn't know how lucky I was at the time! Sometimes you would find 20' sheets in 4 and 5' widths They're still in business, and still pretty cheap, you need to just walk the lot and see what's in stock, It's about a full city block of mostly aluminum, bar, sheet, extrusion, honeycomb, and all kinds of weird stuff from the aircraft industry. Riveters, rivets, nibblers, Cleco stuff etc. A tinkerers paradise!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nice it will make a good hull when you get it patched up. I like that you are fixing up the old hull you will appreciate the boat that much more and save money doing it. Just remember keep it light every lb adds up. I have one that looks kinda like it but 10' long and it has been begging me to put a motor on it.

Lots of time involved with the fiberglass hull repairs...Looks good so far...Are you installing a rear transom lip at the bottom ???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Yamahauler, thanks for the encouraging word! Thinking of another generac for the 10 footer? What size generac are you running in yours now?

Corky
    What's the deal on the transom lips? I've noticed them on a couple builds, do they help with steering or stability? it wouldn't be hard to add one at this stage, It's all raw glass, or glass that needs to be stripped anyway.

The lip serves as a water break allowing the flow to shear away from the hull..Without it the water tends to somewhat climb/roll up the rear of the transom...Any help to free up the flow is a good thing for performance..I've had one on the back of my old mini not just for that issue but mine helps when sliding over the rocks and takes the abuse instead of that crucial area of the transom...Luckily you probably don't need to worry about that aspect of it...
    Last edited by Corky; 04-16-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Yeah, just occasional oyster beds, and slow moving gators! It doesn't hurt the gator, cause, well... no prop hangee down. But, it can rile them up, so it's a good idea to keep moving for a while, they don't range very far!
    How much lip is necessary? An inch or so,or more? Bottom only, or does it run up the chines & sides too?

I've never seen a lip on the bottom of a fiberglass hull unless the polymer is hanging past. I only see them on the top of the transom to stop the wave from coming in the boat when you slow down. Having a lip would help it from hopping but it's like an anchor if you ever have to push the boat back. And yes the other hull is getting another generac 32hp 990cc but i think it's going to get a reduction if i can find a used one.

Here is what i have. I had an 0-84 direct drive on it and it was best in shallow water it didn't get on top in deep water with the short 52" prop i have now

Yes, a fiberglass lip wouldn't hold up...It would have to be a metal insert of some type..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

corky,
    2" Angle aluminum, bolted on, then glassed over?

yamahauler,
    I see what you mean about the upper lip, It's huge! think it's worth adding one?

P.S. This hull is really thin, so there's lot's of crazing in the finish, (really thick old gel coat) I'm thinking of reinforcing the really bad areas on the inside with some glass & epoxy. When I re-make the front deck it will help firm up too, it was part of the bracing and was sawed out, probably rotted. I'll sand down almost to the fiber, hit it with a couple coats of an epoxy primer, that has some flex, then a couple coats of epoxy paint, and see how it holds up. There's a lot to be said for aluminum hulls!

No i don't think the upper lip is worth doing it's mainly for heavier motors that sit low in the water you can always add it later if you really need it and for the bottom my boat has a hinge bolted to the transom the other side is welded to a plate that i can manually adjust but I'm thinking of using a spring to push on the plate so if I run ground it will flex without breaking. That is also something you could do after the boat is running because I'm sure your build list is long enough as it is.

You're right about the list! I'll run it for a while, and see if it really needs a wave deflector, or a lower lip.
    The sprung hinge is a really great idea though. I was wondering about the vulnerability of a small rigid diving board on the back of the hull! And it definitely can be done later!
    I really need to get this beast going, I was just out with the wife this afternoon in the present (heavy) rig on the gulf, about a mile & 1/2 out, (beautiful smooth weather) chasing redfish, blues, trout, mullet and sharks.(Actually the sharks mostly chased us, but that's a whole different story) We came back at dead low tide, pitch black at 11:00 PM and almost stuck it in a mud flat, I felt it digging in, and was able to flip a power (sort of) U turn just in time to keep from having to get out and drag it to deeper water, we were in about 6-8" and it wasn't happy about it! I know the newer hull would have just danced over it, even under powered as it will be. the lighter wider, slippery-er footprint will make a real difference!
    I just installed a tach and the max reading was 8500 RPM, which isn't possible for that motor, I think it defaults to 4 stroke, single cylinder so I'm estimating 2125 or 4250, I'm leaning towards 2125, as soon as I can decipher the owners manual, and figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'll update you. It seems to run comfortably at this speed, so now I need to figure out the actual rpm, then figure reduction advantage, & prop size and style etc. ,etc... 1 project at a time, just like eating an elephant!

Thanks again yamahauler! and bart & aerokirk, your experience and input is beyond invaluable, and greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by 3cells; 04-19-2018 at 05:14 AM.

this was only part of the catch tonight, I really love Florida!
    I have 2 special needs/diet kids that can only eat what we catch or raise ourselves organically, And, mini-airboating helps make it happen! I couldn't go out as easily or frequently with a regular big-dog airboat, to say nothing of the fact I could never afford one. I think they are going to gain in popularity, especially here in Dixie county, where it's mostly working joe sportsmen like myself, that don't have a lot of spendable income, but are heavy on common sense and redneck ingenuity! You wouldn't believe how many guys stop me to look at the clunky rig I have now, and ask about how i built it. They're amazed by the fact I tow it with a 4 cylinder Toyota Corolla, and I can launch it myself! It's great to have a resource like the mini-airboat association to refer folks to!

Does your tach have the s1,s2 buttons it has 3 settings. I think to change the number of spark per revolution hold s1 until it flashes and press it again until it flashes 03 the default is 02

I wish it was that simple! I wanted waterproof and backlit, so, now I have to choose;
    1-6 spark per rev. / 1 spark 2 rev. / 3 spark 2 rev. / or 5 spark 2 rev.
    What kind of wacky motors are these things for?
    The rockwell JLO/Cuyuna is a 2 cylinder 2 cycle, magneto motor, direct drive, so I'm assuming the spark is every rev. sooo... 1 spark 1 rev? Which is the default setting, which is saying i'm cruising at almost 2000 rpm over redline. I'm thinking the magneto has something to do with this, maybe a pulse coming back up the cable from the other cylinder, so I'm going to try 1 spark 2 rev. and see if I get some more realistic readings, let you know tomorrow!

You will need to try 2 or 3 spark/ rev in order to bring those numbers down to the right rpm when i put one on my 2 stroke mercury outboard it did the same said it was revving 10000rpm with the default settings

Quote Originally Posted by 3cells View Post
    corky,
    2" Angle aluminum, bolted on, then glassed over?
    After some thought about the procedure here's my opinion...Would the lip help performance ??? yes...But considering you have a thin glass hull I wouldn't install it...Fiberglass and metal expand and contract at different rates...So even if you did everything correct glassing it in you'll eventually still get a parting line that could potentially leak..You could make a step in the bottom where the aluminum would sit flush with the bottom... But you'd still need the through-hull fasteners and unless they were countersunk {which you don't have enough material to do}they would still be an obstruction...Lastely, with all that in mind you could use a marine grade sealer between the fiberglass and aluminum for essentially an expansion joint between the two ...But you still have the fastener issue...
    For the record if someone was adding that rear lip on any hull I'd use a T channel so you could fasten it to the bottom floor and the transom... Just fastening it to one surface would let the lip bend and create a tremendous amount of stress on just one panel if you slide over something..
    So the bottom line is you'd be making a lot of extra work to probably one part of your hull that didn't need any attention and may actually be creating a whole set of new problems with the through-hull fasteners in the fiberglass...Hence the reason you don't see the lip on a fiberglass hull..Wether that project is worth the effort for your application down there in Fla is your choice...Around here with the rocky bottom of the river I wouldn't have a choice I would need it not for the performance aspect but for the protection in that crucial area...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine