Thread: ECU needs weather protection

Hybrid View

ECU needs weather protection

Hey guys, I'm new to this airboat stuff, and I'm trying to re-build a medium size rig. It's powered by a Suzuki G13BB engine that's fuel injected. My problem is that it uses an ECU to control virtually everything on he engine, and they are not weather tight. I'm thinking of some kind of enclosure mounted under the seat.
    What do you guys do in a case like this? I still need to get wires in and out of the enclosure. I suppose one of those military 'Cannon' connectors would do it, but boy are they expensive!

Re: ECU needs weather protection

Does the ECU require any type of cool/fresh air ?? The cannon connectors would be a safe bet...Expensive yes but so is a new ecu if it gets shorted out...There's all types of waterproof containers that could work and mounting it under the seat would give some extra protection...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I don't think cooling would be an issue. These were usually mounted in the passenger compartment, down near your knees.
    I know I either need to be fully waterproof (spray, condensation, etc.) or allow for drainage of any moisture that gets into the enclosure.

I use an ammo box on my boat for some tools and extra oil. It a has never been wet or the rag I keep in there damp at all.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I like Pappee's ammo box idea, but I'd recommend a plastic one. Then, go to your local home improvement store, and head for the electrical department. You should be able to find fittings that have a weather seal in them. Will take a standard 1/2" or 3/4" electrical knockout punch, and that will allow you to pass cables in and out of the box as needed.

Roger

An ammo box is a great idea!

I bought a plastic ammo box from Harbor Freight.. It was $5 ....It has the seal in the lid and does an excellent job...Keep in mind you need some type of connector for a break in the wiring between the ECU and the wiring run so the water/moisture can't wick up the wiring and make it to your circuit board...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I used a metal one on apps boat. I put a grommet in then filled the gap with a hot glue gun.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    I used a metal one on apps boat. I put a grommet in then filled the gap with a hot glue gun.
    That's exactly my plan. I got one of the narrower boxes, and the ECU just fits in it. I'll use some pieces of sleeping pad foam to cushion it, and fill the gap with hot melt.
    Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

I'll try to update my progress with this engine overhaul as things progress.