Thread: Holley "Bugspray" carb for the 084

Lightbulb Holley "Bugspray" carb for the 084

Keeping up with the tradition of launching the factory carb in favor of a better alternative I'll carry the torch a ways for this one ...
    These are tough shoes to fill so many members have tried various carbs over the years...Some were good and some....Well, not so good......And hopefully I won't fall into that category with this project......
    Seriously though there's already a few good choices so why use this holley ??? Here's my reasoning...
    The holley carb I'm going to use is the list number 6244...
    It's the 200 cfm 2bbl that was designed to be used on the smaller displacement VW engines from the 60s...
    It's got 15/16ths venturi...
    The carb has access screws in the bowl to change jets without taking the carb apart..
    And lastly, there's not much to them internally...
    Here's what I've got to begin with...Don't let the dirty exterior fool you the carb is in great shape the inside is clean and the throttle shaft has no play...From the top it appears to be a one barrel but looking at the bottom reveals it is a two bbl..
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Re: Holley "Bugspray" carb for the 084

Now it's time to get into the rebuild...A pic of the internals showing the fuel bowl with the two jets in the rear,accelerator pump on the left{the rod with the spring} and the venturi...Not much to it and simple to work on...And a few pics of the jet access...simple but effective...I have a holley jet tool that basically a screwdriver with a specialized tip that can reach through the fuel bowl openings and unscrew the jets for easy change-out..In this application the stock jet is a 47...I'm going to leave those in for a starting point and get some air/fuel readings and see where it needs to go from there...
    Last edited by Corky; 01-17-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Here's a breakdown of all the parts ...Rebuild kits are readily available as you would expect for a holley carb...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

After the parts were soaked in carb cleaner solution...It's time for reassembly...With this carb being used in a marine environment I wanted to make sure it was up to the job...I used Eastwood's carb renew spray on the outside main body...This will keep the body looking new while adding some protection to keep it from corroding...The cast iron base received an epoxy coating as well as adding felt throttle shaft dirt seals on each side{like the factory 084 carbs had}..The throttle shaft plates are brass and will work nicely for the marine application...
    All the linkages were painted with Seymours stainless steel paint. This paint has real stainless steel pigments for corrosion protection..
    So I've done all that could be done to help give the carb a fighting chance at survival on an airboat without the elements having their way...
    The electric choke is being discarded in favor of a manual choke to give me a little more control over that feature..
    Anyhow, here's the carb ready for airboat duty...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

One thing stressed about the use of the bugspray carb is the need for the isolated runner manifold...And the reasoning is to keep the intake's plenum air chamber volume to a minimum so the intake runner air velocity makes a strong vacuum and keeps the 2bbl carb mix in suspension ... Here's an example of the isolated runner intake..This one is a "single port" design {one central,shared intake port on the VW head}...But for our purposes we're only interested in the center carb mating area of the intake...
    Last edited by Corky; 01-17-2018 at 11:24 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

So how does the carb work without an intake plenum ??? The base of the bugspray carb has a machined area to act as the "plenum" and equalizes the pulse from each port...Now you can see why adding a big open plenum type intake under this carb would drastically reduce the carb's vacuum signal making for some less than ideal low end performance on a small displacement engine...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

And now for the technical end of the manifold mating...The VW intake getting the date with the saw is a dual port version...The factory intake tubes would be connected to cast aluminum pieces that split into two ports by a rubber joint connector somewhat like the 084s except the VW's are obviously further out on the runner......What I plan on doing here is to use just the center portion of the VW intake for the carb mating and bring the 084 intake runners together near the base of this intake...I'm not going to modify the 084s original intake runners...I'm basically taking off the intake joint and installing a new and improved isolated runner intake joint...But first some comparison pics showing what I've got to work with as a starting point...Although it appears the NOS intake joint's inside tube diameter is smaller, it's only .006 difference between the two...The thinwall VW tubes make it appear more of a difference...So I'm definitely in the ballpark for a match-up using the original intake joint connectors...
    I'll throw in a comparison pic of the carb mating surfaces from the NOS intake joint to the bugspray dual runners...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

looks like you have been having fun, while you had a little cold spell. Can't wait to see what method you will use to match it up.

The whole concern with the intake manifold is merging the tubes and NOT making too much of an air void to lose the velocity ...I'm ordering some mandrel bent 90s so my job is just the engineering not the whole fabrication of the tubes...I don't want to turn this into another lengthy project...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

looks good to me expecially the carb ohaul. this ought to work good. never went through any of the 200 cfm but had my hands on plenty of the larger 300 cfm. good working carbs back in the day. not as complicated as the newer webers. no progression. when you open the throttle you get it on both venturi. i was watching a guy on you tube last night setting up and welding an exhaust manifold to hook to a turbo and that guy had it going on. used stainless tubing to build the header. i'll post the web site when i find it. really interesting.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcx...rjTVSSUkzZ2Jlg
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 01-20-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Yeah, that guy is good !! I watched two vids there after the intro...I'll probably go back for more....I really need to get a tig......Well, you know how it is...I don't NEED one but I feel like I'm missing out on something by not knowing how to tig weld...That might be a good learning curve for this year...
    I was really hoping to find an easy alternative for the intake joint like the last combo you used but with the orientation of the carb and the need of this carb's two bbl operating requirements I'll just go ahead and make one up...
    It's been so darn cold here I haven't been able to get much done everything is covered,froze in place, and in suspended animation for the most part...Boy am I ready for spring !!
    Last edited by Corky; 01-20-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

i think everyone is.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

i think you would like tig welding a lot, i am glad i have that option on what i purchased mine last fall, it has came in handy more than a few times already. it takes a little more time then mig or stick welding. but it is so much cleaner. and it helps to position the piece being welded in a comfortable angle and location. with the welder i have, it has 2 gas ports on the back, one for mig, one for tig. and to switch from one to an other all i have to do is put the neg. cable on the + side, and plug in the tig torch, & select the weld process setting. and on a side note (remember to turn on the gas at the bottle.)
    i still can't believe how much heat these little inverters can put out, on 110 volts. and the bead it lays down, makes it look like i have been welding for years.

I'm certainly in agreement with you on the desire (but not necessarily the need) for a tig machine. I could have used one when I welded up the stainless superstructure and cage on my boat. I did it with a mig welder and they are all unquestionably strong welds but not as pretty as they would have been with a tig. Most of what I used was 1/2" (OD) tubing and there's just no way you can move your mig torch around that small a circumference as quickly as the the puddle wants to go, so you end up welding in segments which just doesn't look as nice.

Looks like you're on to something with the holley setup Corky! If you're having the same cold winter that we are here, it's a good time to do some engineering. Thanks for posting your progress.

I've pretty much put my boat into storage for the winter and went out and bought a bulldozer so I could harvest some of my really big cedars out of the swamp on our back 20. I built a "tiny house" back in the woods so we would have a fun place to spend a night once in a while and now it needs cedar siding. I'll make it up on my bandsaw mill this Spring before our rivers melt and then....it's back to airboating and bowfishing...can't wait!!!
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Hi Ted, yes the mig did just fine your SS rigging came out beautiful and should hold up as long as you need it to...As you've stated the tig adds some eye appeal to the weld and some are just plain works of art..
    I guess the frozen ground is actually an advantage when the logs are in a swampy area...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine