Thread: Tired of working in the cold time to call some coyotes.

Tired of working in the cold time to call some coyotes.

Every morning to lunch I have been in the shop working on the "Bug".
    Slow going, making the "Belly plate" between the cats , it's to keep the water off the prop, which is a must I guess.
    With one person it is a two step forward and one step back on every rivet.
    Just need one more LOOONG arm.
    Anyway I'm getting it and it will work fine, when completed I'm going to get it filled with foam for flotation, and rigidity.
    It's been well below zero most the days and with my propane heater I can get it up to around +10* in the shop, workable but harder to work, you need coat and gloves.

ALLLL that said I'm tired and planning a calling trip some time this weekend " Weather permitting" .
    There calling for a heat wave at around + 15 and light winds, BUT it has been snowing every day since mid week in all about 10" down here on the flats.
    That makes travel tough and walking even harder, the coyotes don't like it either and are hard to coax out for a " Good Time". I'm going to try anyway just not good weather for another try at the cow elk, there is still a month to get that done...
    Last edited by Coyotes-R-Us; 01-12-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Re: Tired of working in the cold time to call some coyotes.

i live in florida and i won't go outside if it's below 50 degrees. i don't see how you northern guys stand it. i feel sorry for people that have to put up with that kind of cold. i guess you must get used to it. have a safe hunt and stay warm.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Yeah, we've had a cold snap too that's lasted for weeks..Below freezing for weeks...The past few days has warmed up above freezing and today almost broke a record at 60* !!! By morning it's back below freezing for days again... I wear multiple layers of clothes at work and try to keep a machine running with a heated cab so I can jump in and "do some work" and get warmed up in the process...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

we got a heat wave now. a week ago it was 0, and to cold to want to crawl under the truck and replace the rear diff. sensor. now it is in the mid 30's, raining and really don't want to sit in a puddle of water, on ice and change it out. i got to learn which battle to fight. lets see what next week brings.

Speaking of heat waves...Starting tomorrow it will be above freezing every day and might even get close to 50 a few days......I'm ready for a few good days so I can get some projects done that were put on hold....

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

after a week of freezing rain the ice flow has got just a little high coming off the park strip. and we have 2 more months before break-up. I wonder if the ice when it grows and expands will pull the fire hydrant out of the ground.
    just a little ice, last week the ice was a foot lower.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My boy just sold 9 Coyote pelts from Last year , to free up freezer space for this years crop.
    $495 averaged $55 apiece.

just skinned and frozen not finished .
    He is going to buy a 110 volt "flux core" wire welder with part of the cash.

This is some of what we are getting with the cash.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0185BEKK6...XWE52Z0V&psc=1

Not a big unit but very portable and we can run it off our generator we already have . In the event we have a structural problem in the on sight water testing period...
    The other portion will be to insolate and finish the Boys shed so we can "finish " the hides and get another $25 each.

I was checking the welder out...Not a bad deal for the price and it got great reviews...You'll be surprised how well the little 110V welders work..90% of the work I do around the shop I can get done with the 110V welder...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    after a week of freezing rain the ice flow has got just a little high coming off the park strip. and we have 2 more months before break-up. I wonder if the ice when it grows and expands will pull the fire hydrant out of the ground.
    just a little ice, last week the ice was a foot lower.
    Wow...How many issues around town do you have when the spring thaw comes ??? Those hard freeze/thaw events are an excavator's nightmare I hated answering the phone it was never an easy fix for stuff like that....

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

i will have to take another picture tomorrow, the ice has risen almost 1/2 way over where the water hose connects.
    there are not to many issues with the water lines. as long as you keep a little stream of water running in the house. the city water and sewer lines are usually 10 to 15 feet deep. Being next to the ocean, as long as the snow is not disturbed, the ground doesn't freeze, but anywhere you clean the snow off and are driving over it. this drives the frost down deep,
    but this is the highest that i have seen the ice next to the hydrant, in the 15 years that i have lived at this house.
    i hope the casting doesn't crack or come apart, the fire main lines i know are 15 ft. deep, and it would make just a little hole. let alone who knows how much more ice on the road.

Not a big unit but very portable and we can run it off our generator we already have . In the event we have a structural problem in the on sight water testing period...
    The other portion will be to insolate and finish the Boys shed so we can "finish " the hides and get another $25 each.

not a bad little welder, just know and learn its limitations.
    a couple of things to remember, that come to mind when I looked at the reviews, it has a 15 % duty cycle and the draw is 37 volts. i never could find out how thick of metal it was rated for. don't know if it will handle anything over 1/8" material. that you will have to find out with testing its limits.

something else is how big of generator are you going to use.
    the reason why i ask, at work they had been purchasing a lot of the honda 2000 generators. to run tools & pumps where power wasn't handy. and after replacing generators, pumps, and tools. i started looking at the voltage requirements of the tools vs. the output of the generators. we have jumped up to the honda 3000 & bigger series now. the honda 2000's would turn a skill saw, but what a load.where the honda was rated at 13 amps. and the skill saw needed 15 amps.
    you just need to match the generator to the amp draw that is required to operate the tools you have.

but for light welding it should be good.
    i know the 100 amp flux core welder that i borrowed to weld my cage together was good for thin wall material. but i didn't feel it gave out enough heat penetration to trust it on 1/8" material.
    (but it was manufactured 20 years ago, and technology has improved.)
    so when you get it. do some weld tests on the thickest metal you will be using and then inspect the weld, by cutting though it with a band saw to see how much penetration you have, and put the 2 pieces that you welded in a vise and bend it. to see if the weld will hold,
    then you will know what it is capable of welding.
    too many of the utube videos show a welder making a pretty bead, but they never say what is actually happening with the metal. i have welded many pretty weld beads that have failed for a multiple of reasons, and i have learned what i need to change to correct my mistakes.

when i went to a welding engineering school, back in the day on every piece we welded we would do a impact test and a bend test. you learn a lot about what is happening when you weld, when you weld a couple of 3/8" plates together and then bend it into a U shape over a 1 inch radius, with no failure or cracks. so i learned by trial and error how to make a good weld, and what i could trust to pass inspection.

hope you don't mind the comments. about testing your welds, but i do this with mine test welds just to know if i can actually trust them. and when they fail. i look to understand what i did wrong, and i learn the limitations of the welder i am using.
    here is a utube video of what a bend test involves and what to look for
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kD1wsc56dk
    have fun and get that freezer filled back up.

Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks I will.
    I'm not much of a welder, I'll have to do a LOT of practice .
    It HAS TO BE BETTER THEN POP RIVETS!!!
    The welder trips it's barkers at 10 amps, our generator is 15 amp.

I know the feeling, about popping those breakers. Before I put in a couple dedicated circuits with 20 amp breakers. I would get about 4 inches of a weld bead down, the fan on the miller maxstar would come on, and pop goes the breaker. Hard to do much work that way. Make sure you have good wiring, to the outlets and upgrade the breaker. And life will be good

I did a lot of hammering and bending when I first started welding aluminum too.... I couldn't really tell just how well the welds penetrated...And my welds were ugly......It took a while before I didn't feel the need for an emergency escape raft platform on the new hull...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine