Thread: Any one hunt elk ? 6MM for cow elk? Ok choice for close cow/calf ? What do you think

Any one hunt elk ? 6MM for cow elk? Ok choice for close cow/calf ? What do you think

What is your opinion ?

You know about my Lazar, I mean the 6mm rem I put together.
    I shoot a TTS 80 gr Barnes at 3600 fps in a group about an inch at 200 yards off my bipods.
    I got draw for an elk damage hunt over in Valentine Mt.
    I can shoot two cow/calf.
    I talked with the rancher and he said the elk are hanging around the hey stacks and now that there is a lot of snow there staying there all day.
    All that said;
    Do you think I would be ok shooting my 6mm ?
    I have the Marlin 45/70 300 gr Hornady HP 2495 fps. I know that is a better choice but I have killed elk with it before.
    The boy has a Kimber 6.5 Creedmoor I could use but I have never shot it.
    Then there is there 338/378 , I'm not a fan of this rifle.
    I'll bet you can guess why. BUT it does kill elk...
    Then maybe the 375 H&H but I regress...
    I'm asking about the 6mm.
    Anything under 200 yards and I feel confident I can put the bullet any place I want .

What's your honest thoughts?

I plan to shoot two, probably in the same spot/herd.

Re: Any one hunt elk ? 6MM for cow elk? Ok choice for close cow/calf ? What do you th

sounds like you have a steady aim, and know where to place your shots.
    your question is a good one, i can hear augments pro and con, there are just a lot of variables to take in account. with using a small grain bullet,
    i have read stories of some of the old timers just using a 22, and drop a bear or moose, in their tracks with single shot.
    but i have seen an elk run a mile with its heart blown away, after being shot with a 30-06
    a few years ago i had a prone shot at a nice double shovel caribou, but i had my 375 H&H with me, with some heavy loads (thought i might come across a bear) having only shot it standing up, i just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, (someday i still need to get a boss system on it) just the thought of shooting it in the prone position, i was afraid i would brake my collar bone.
    I have a friend that bagged a nice grizzly with a recurve bow, a few years ago.
    i think where you have confidence in you shooting ability, and can place your shots, them barns bullets are not to bad either.
    and enjoy the hunt. and put some meat in the freezer.
    let us know which direction you decide to go with,

Re: Any one hunt elk ? 6MM for cow elk? Ok choice for close cow/calf ? What do you th

I will.
    I'll Take the 6 and he 45/70 What ever is called for.