Thread: Redrive search

Redrive search

Hello to everyone !

I am brand new to this kind of sport, and I landed here looking for parts to fix my broken ride.

I'm looking for a reduction drive (redrive) for my Suzuki G13B engine. It came to me with an SPG2 redrive which has a broken front gear housing, and a broken gear.

Looks like I need a replacement!

So, I'm wanting something that would replace it without spending $2K or more for a new one. Either another SPG2, an SPG3, or maybe even some other brand of redrive.

Any suggestions?

Re: Redrive search

Hello and welcome to the site !!!.. Is the housing and gear beyond repair/replacement to get the unit operational ???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Well, the gear shattered, so I don't think that's going to be repairable. The housing may be something that could be fixed. It's deformed near a seal, and it may be in an area that doesn't matter. Also a small crack, but I may be able to TIG weld that.

I called the manufacturer and was told the gears had to be replaced as a matched pair.
    That along with a casting would be more expensive than buying a new one.
    Much of this expense is caused by this model SPG2 is out of production.

To his credit, he offered me a 10% discount, bringing it down to $1995. I think that includes a new bell housing too.

Ideally I'd like to find a used redrive. I'm trying to discover other forums for sports that would use these kind of redrives.

most if not all gear drives should be replaced in pairs. like ring gears and pinion sets for auto are match sets. you will be hard pressed to come out on this drive without spending some serious money. not as many around as belt drives. maybe in ultra light but not airboat which are the same. i haven't seen a lot being used. building a belt drive would be something to consider but you would have to build it yourself and it would cost a lot to do that unless you have a lathe capable of turning all you need. then you might spend as much or more than what a new drive would cost you. i would buy the new unit and be done with it. if money was available.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Name:  RedriveGear-1.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  86.3 KB
    So, what's the chances of this being fixable?

If I were to build a belt drive, wouldn't the prop need to be replaced as well?

the gear looks like it had a real good impact crack like that. did you get any information what the previous owner was doing when it broke, or was it like an answer I get a lot. "I found it like that"
    from what i can see of the crack, it looks like it broke all at the same time, sometimes if there was a hair line crack to begin with. that metal will be slightly more discolored.
    as for fixable?? anything can be, but you would need to know what type of metal this was made out of, the heat treating or hardening procedure, then take the temper out of the metal, join it back together, balance it. and harden it again. it would take just a little metallurgy, or just have them machine you a new gear. sounds simple. if you had the right stuff. and most shops would probably let you know it is cheaper to by a new one.
    i am just wondering if it threw anything else out, besides the area by the seal. and if you did tig the crack in the case, i would still want to verify that the bores line up and are not out of alignment.
    that's a tuff one. when i picked up my little Cuyuna with the gear box, i shopped around on ebay & craigslist, and picked up a couple of cases, and gears just in case something like this would happen to me.
    as for the prop i think you are correct, with a belt drive the rotation would be the same as the motor, where your gear drive should be opposite rotation.
    thinking about this, where something stopped that gear from turning enough to split it open like that, i have seen the teeth knocked off, on the gears in manual transmissions & transfercases when clutches are popped.
    just hope you motor is okay.
    good luck and let us know what you find out.
    Last edited by Bart; 12-09-2017 at 07:54 PM.

looking at the teeth on your gear, i couldn't help but notice that the leading edge has a lot of wear on it. i would be curious to see how much slop you had in the gear box. that might have been what lead to the a broken tooth, and split the gear.
    i attached a picture of what the gears look like in one of my gear boxes. where the teeth still have a good profile.
    hope you the best in going forward. it takes a little patience sometimes with these toys.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i see that you are moving forward with other parts of your boat, what direction did you end up going with the gear box?

Well, I looked around for awhile to see if there was a better redrive for my Dragonfly, but the others wouldn't be a direct replacement. The closest I could get was a new redrive from AirTrikes, so I bought one from them. I'll still have to make some modifications to the motor mounts, and add a prop spacer so the prop gets back into it's original position.

If you get a chance please post some pics of your redrive from AirTrikes so we have some viewing material !!

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

did you ever come up with a solution to the broken gear & housing?
    came across a shop that could help you out and build you a new gear, or set of gears from coping your old one.
    just a thought.
    http://www.thegearmaker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    did you ever come up with a solution to the broken gear & housing?
    came across a shop that could help you out and build you a new gear, or set of gears from coping your old one.
    just a thought.
    http://www.thegearmaker.com
    Thanks for the info. I wish I had that a while back.