Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: building my 084 redrive

Re: building my 084 redrive

well sometimes it is a step back, and fix things, after looking at a the holes that were drilled for mounting the plate, for what ever reason, none of them really lined up. stopped trying to figure out what happened, i had clamped the plywood template to the plate, and center punched the holes,
    so today lathed out some plugs, and tigged the holes back in.
    so in hind-site, i should have cut out the hole for the oil pump bracket, and then verified the placement for the mounting holes.
    and also, instead of using the plywood template for the holes, i am now using the factory shroud, maybe its me, but it is hard to modify some things that may be hard to come by. but after thinking about it, i really didn't need to take to much off. now there shouldn't be any error, ( just glad that i picked up those two 042 generators, it gives a person just a few spare parts.)
    so as it works out, (that happens sometimes), i had a brass bushing that fit the hole for the drive pulley, and the hole in the shroud was only an 1/8" larger. so i made a shim out of some aluminum that i had from the rudders, and it made a nice snug fit. SO NOW THINGS ARE LINED UP. finally, and it is not off a template, but using the factory shroud, so there should be no errors,

i feel alot better, about now taking the time to get everything squared up. i could have used 5 of the holes if i hadn't but the chamfer on the plate. but without the holes being dead-on, the bolts looked like they were side loading when they were tightened up.
    at least i am learning. and now i can see exactly what needs trimmed out. and hopefully i don't have to many do-overs.
    i guess at times i just am so anxious to go forward on this, that i forget to measure 10 times and cut once.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

so after milling out the parts shaded in black, it is looking good, brought it in the house where it is just a little warmer, and spent some time with laying out the grid. with the known that the bottom and top pulley were in line when milled out.
    then using the picking eye post on the shroud, to know where the top needed to be lined up to. everything is starting to look a lot better,
    (we had made a couple of button head, threaded center punches, just in case we needed to set it on the block and do the aligning from the block. )
    but lady luck was smiling on us today, all the holes were a perfect fit, and the bottom of the plate was only 3/32" out of square from the bottom of the engine casting. and it had a slight angle on it from being cut with a plasma cutter.
    so back to the mill, and now i have a bottom that is square to the motor, ( now, if only i can keep the motor mounts plumb and square, that would really be something to write home about)
    i will have to take a picture of the back of the plate so you can see just how far things were out of alignment.
    and i am liking the machine head bolts, they really cinch the plate tight to the motor,
    as far as keeping the water from building up between the plate and the housing, i can use a flat washer for a spacer, or mill a slot, so the water will drain out. if i don't use a washer, i am thinking a bead of rtv gasket sealer would work on the top and sides. it is always the little things, that can come back to haunt you.
    tomorrow, if things go well, we will get the cut out for the starter motor trued up. and then start on bearing post holder that will be on the other side of the drive pulley.
    i appreciate the time my friend takes to help me out with, this, but i think he is kind of excited just to build something from almost scratch. just to see what problems that can be solved,
    he has been working the night shift for the last couple of weeks, and i have a week off, so we are getting about 2 hours of shop time in, before his shift starts. we have been having the funnest time just trying to see if we will every be off at the same time.

in taking a better look at the shroud, i see that for each of the bolt holes. there is a raised tab. where that is the only place that comes in contact with the engine block.
    on cars i am used to the transmission or bell housing having a snug fit to the engine block. The question i have is why would not the shroud off the 084 be the same way?
    but instead they left a raised circle around where the 6 bolt holes are.
    would it be due to some imperfection mating up the engine block to the shroud? at the moment all i can do is speculate.

Bart, as you know sometimes just drilling through thick components will throw a wrench in the accuracy depending on how it's jigged...I've done that to myself many times...Unfortunately with the redrive it needs to be quite accurate...It looks like you've got it now...
    I think possibly those raised tabs help to keep the machining/tolerances an easy procedure for the part itself...That shroud needs to be precise on both sides for the flywheel as well as the block...Plus it adds a boundary layer of air to help with the cooling...There could be a number of reasons the design went that way...One thing for sure there's really not that much of a contact area around the shroud mating surface of the 084...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

It has been a good day, it still boggles my mind on how much time it takes to do some of these tasks, i guess if i had better knowledge with a CAD program, and had it all drawn out to scale with known measurements, but we are making do.
    so we turned out the bearing support for the lower pulley, verified that the milling table was within tolerance. centered on the milling machine, and used the DRLO to plot the holes. that takes all the guess work out of it. it does take some time though, to complete all the steps to get a finished product, it will be secured with 5 ea. 1/4 cap screws 1" long.
    while we were on a roll, we ended up finishing the securing the flywheel to the driven pulley.
    then i attempted to turn out the spacer, for the driven pulley on my little lathe at home tonight. all i can say, is i can't wait for the new chuck purchased on Ebay, to show up this weekend. it should improve this lathe big time.
    but a larger lathe would be great also. (all in due time) for what would have taken less than 10 minutes on a regular lathe. all i can say it gives me patience, and makes me wish for an heated shop.

just a couple more pictures, the tapped holes for the flywheel, are going to work out great, 2/3rd's of the hole is in the spacer, and the other 1/3rd is in the main pulley. with 1" long 5/16" machine screws, and a little loctite. I shouldn't have to worry about the spacer spinning on me.

Very nice !!! Those are some great looking parts...The machining is top notch...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

well i have learned a few things tonight, finally combined some time with a friend that is somewhat knowledgeable in the engineering field and know how to put all the information into a CAD program. all this time i have been going by hey, it looks close, but the last while i have been kind of stalled, it I would have stayed with the original plan, to support the crank bearing only, it would have been done a while back. with only a hub extension to turn out.
    but I started looking into realistically installing a cover plate to include both pulleys. which should eliminate any flexing of the driven pulley. this is a little more work up front, and just a little in the change of plans. but i am thinking, after reading a few of the comments and looking at many designs that are out there. That in the long run. this would be the best option.
    I am still looking at keeping the 5 V-belt pulleys at the moment. but that may change also??? if I was to go to the cog pulleys, well i have a few ideas. but at the moment that is where they are. Just ideas. but the alignment would be a lot simpler.
    so after spending a couple of hours tonight getting most of the measurements. in the next couple of days I should have a print, of the direction that i need to go. with the sizes of roller & thrust bearings that i will need, which should make it simple to turn this out on the lathe and mill. instead of flying by the seat of your pants. this method has been good up to a point. but after seeing my friend take all of the measurements tonight, it makes me wish that i would have visited more with him about my project last fall. and it could have saved me a lot of "thinking about this" but i have learned a lot, just trying to come up with ideas that might work. and this project has given me a lot of respect for what is actually involved in building a redrive.
    anyway in a few days, i should finally have a set of plans that haven't been scribbled on a napkin.

Well look on the bright side...Even getting a CAD drawing at this stage will save you untold hours in the future...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine