Thread: Rudder configuration(s)?

Rudder configuration(s)?

I've had this idea in my shoulder-mounted vacuum chamber for awhile, but I'm just an "eyeball engineer", and it might be wise to seek the advice of others more experienced than I.

If a person were to run twin rudders, but place them in an inverted V attitude, in the air stream, how might that effect handling? My thoughts are that the different forces would help the hull lean, or "bank" into the turn, thus tightening up the turn radius and reducing the tendency to slip to the outside.
    I realize that it may make the steering linkage(s) a bit more complex, but the engineering exercise is quite intriguing to me.

Any other opinions?

Roger

Re: Rudder configuration(s)?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to ponder some crazy thoughts about something simply to ask why.......But yes, it would stand to reason you'd get lift or down force depending on how the rudders are leaning...I've seen some airboats actually have that third,fixed rudder across the top to adjust the transom to lift or push down...I'd imagine it would take quite a bit of adjustments to get that angled configuration just right...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to ponder some crazy thoughts about something simply to ask why.......But yes, it would stand to reason you'd get lift or down force depending on how the rudders are leaning...

Yeah; I have a tendency to do that. Look at something and think about how a guy can improve on the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I've seen some airboats actually have that third,fixed rudder across the top to adjust the transom to lift or push down...I'd imagine it would take quite a bit of adjustments to get that angled configuration just right...

Hmmm. Sort of a "trim tab" to adjust, rather than shimming the motor or prop shaft to get a little up or down force as needed. Not a bad idea. I wonder how successful it was.

Roger

i have a friend, with a full sized airboat, that has a third rudder, that runs perpendicular to the steering rudders, it is attached to the top of the cage.
    he used this to lift up the back of his air boat when it get stuck, it can give enough lift, so a little air can get under the boat.

he gave me a few other design ideas, that i will be working on over this winter
    i don't know if the my small Hp. motor will produce enough lift, to make it worthwhile. but it has been one of the many ideas that are on the back burner these last couple of months.

as for the inverted V rudders, i seen this design on utube a few years ago, but at the moment i can't remember what these were listed under. and i forgot what their findings where.

on the big airboat we have i put 2 4in. tabs at top rear of rudders one on each one to act as auto pilot. the boat always tended to pull the rudder to the left and this cured the problem. turn loose of the stick and it runs straight.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade