Thread: Looking to build a job boat conversion need advice

Looking to build a job boat conversion need advice

I am looking for suggestion on engine size and prop for a job boat conversion New to air boats so all info is welcome ! North Texas there is zero boats to get a idea of what I need !!!!

Re: Looking to build a job boat conversion need advice

Hello and welcome to the site......Give us the specs of the jon boat so everyone can make some suggestions...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Hello and welcome to the site......Give us the specs of the jon boat so everyone can make some suggestions...
    15' x44" my plan is to try a 22hp predator with a direct drive prop from arrow prop. The river I plan on using this on varies from a couple of inches to 2 or 3 ft deep and in places get narrow. I am on a tight budget and don't want to waste money if it won't work I really appreciate all input there is no air boats big or small in this area to even look at for ideas . Also may add I am wanting this to carry two adults with minimal gear for hunting.

15' x44" my plan is to try a 22hp predator with a direct drive prop from arrow prop. The river I plan on using this on varies from a couple of inches to 2 or 3 ft deep and in places get narrow. I am on a tight budget and don't want to waste money if it won't work I really appreciate all input there is no air boats big or small in this area to even look at for ideas . Also may add I am wanting this to carry two adults with minimal gear for hunting.

My old mini is a 14x48 jon boat with a 13 hp kohler...I've fine tuned it to where it will actually get up on plane with just me in it...But with two people there's no way mine will even come close..I'm plowing the water with just too much weight to get the job done...
    Now, you're a touch narrower with another foot in length...Even with the predator it'll be questionable for it to plane with two people and some gear in there...Don't get me wrong, you'll be able to go anywhere you want to go on the water just don't have illusions of a speed boat flying up the river with two people in it...Plan to spend some time for the journey...
    As a general rule most like the prop about the same width as the boat hull just for safety reasons but you can have some design variances without too many troubles...

Some pics and a general hull weight would be some of the first considerations to add for some additional educated answers...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

My old mini is a 14x48 jon boat with a 13 hp kohler...I've fine tuned it to where it will actually get up on plane with just me in it...But with two people there's no way mine will even come close..I'm plowing the water with just too much weight to get the job done...
    Now, you're a touch narrower with another foot in length...Even with the predator it'll be questionable for it to plane with two people and some gear in there...Don't get me wrong, you'll be able to go anywhere you want to go on the water just don't have illusions of a speed boat flying up the river with two people in it...Plan to spend some time for the journey...
    As a general rule most like the prop about the same width as the boat hull just for safety reasons but you can have some design variances without too many troubles...

Some pics and a general hull weight would be some of the first considerations to add for some additional educated answers...

Thanks for the information I am leaning towards not doing the jon boat for that reason maybe build my own hull or try and find a affordable hull. Really have to get on plane due to water depth being shallow here have to do some more research. I appreciate your knowledg and input this forum here is saving me big bucks !!!!

As Papee always preaches: "Keep it light"...At our level of boating every pound makes a difference...And even I don't listen as much as I should have with my last build......Although you'll have more HP with the predator you'll also add more weight and it's just not worth the risk of just where the performance will fall using that narrow of a hull IMO...
    Another thing that concerns me with a narrow hull like that is the stability with that larger engine up high enough to spin the prop...Mine is not forgiving when moving around I can't get "around the cage" even to reach back there without swamping the boat...And that's with only the 13hp engine...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

As Papee always preaches: "Keep it light"...At our level of boating every pound makes a difference...And even I don't listen as much as I should have with my last build......Although you'll have more HP with the predator you'll also add more weight and it's just not worth the risk of just where the performance will fall using that narrow of a hull IMO...
    Another thing that concerns me with a narrow hull like that is the stability with that larger engine up high enough to spin the prop...Mine is not forgiving when moving around I can't get "around the cage" even to reach back there without swamping the boat...And that's with only the 13hp engine...
    Changing directions and going to either buy or build a hull and looking for a 084 engine !!!!!

I'm not trying to steer you in any particular direction just giving you some valuable,real world info with a rig that's really close to what you're contemplating there.. But in the long run I'm sure you'd be much happier with a wider,purpose built hull and an 084 engine...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I'm not trying to steer you in any particular direction just giving you some valuable,real world info with a rig that's really close to what you're contemplating there.. But in the long run I'm sure you'd be much happier with a wider,purpose built hull and an 084 engine...
    I am going to build a hull and I have been looking for a 084 engine but can't find one if any one has one for sale I would appreciate it!!!

Some one in Texas here just had one up for sale.