Thread: Fairly new here

Fairly new here

Hello all,I've a member on here for a month or so but never got around to
    post anything about myself.My name is Pete go by wrongway ,I'm a retired
    truck driver and it seemed everytime I got in the truck I was never heading home
    always the Wrongway,I'm a Vietnam veteran 1963-66,married in '64 and still
    married,enjoy the outdoors,shooting,fishing playin in the dirt and now want
    to build a mini airboat.
    The time I've been on here everyone is very friendly and helpful I appreciate
    that. Hope to have some pics. but it'll take me awhile

Re: Fairly new here

Welcome to the site Pete...As you've already found there's a bunch of great members here and quite a few are very knowledgeable.. Not only in general info but with problem solving abilities and custom applications...You've come to the right place to build a mini...Post up some pics when you get a chance and I'm sure you'll be guided through the process making it a fun time...Cork

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Hello Pete and welcome to the site! Building an airboat can be very rewarding, both in the build and especially when you're sliding through the cattails on something you just created. It's also good for dusting the cobwebs out of the brain when you are figuring out how to make all the parts work together smoothly
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

i'll second that aerokirk expecially about the cobwebs.

Afternoon Aerokirk,
    I decided on an 18HP DuroMax, ordered it today and should be here in 3-5 days
    I can get this Duro Max cheaper then I could get a 13 from Harbor freight.
    The place I ordered from is called Max tools

You can't go wrong with more horsepower...well, that is if your rig will support it
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Quote Originally Posted by aerokirk View Post
    You can't go wrong with more horsepower...well, that is if your rig will support it
    Well you know what they say "live and Learn" my boat is a 14x48 Alumacraft so we'll see what happens
    it'll be awhile anyway just excited about building one

sounds like you are going to have some fun.
    here are a few things that i learned when i finally put my mini in the water last summer, it is small, but was fun to drive, the hull is 11 x 4 foot w/ 16 in. sides . I hope that with 3 more feet, you can have a little more free board that what i have.
    i ended up putting 8" side boards on the back half. these were needed to keep the water out when turning.
    the motor with the gear box weighed in at 70 lbs. and rudders came in at 12 lbs ea.
    i think if I went to 1 lighter rudder, hanging off the back it would make a big difference on how it sat in the water.
    it was a kick in the pants to play with, with my son or I driving, never had any water come in. but when my better half, took it out. she was not a speed demon. and when she would slow down to turn, water would come over the back. ( kind of scary) don't really think she would like to swim the couple of hundred yards back to the shore.
    this winter/spring, i will attempt to widen it, up to 5 or 6 feet. to get more flotation. or build a new hull 5x12 with 20 in. sides
    the times i took it out, i spent more time getting the prop pitch set to match the RPM's, and my jetting was giving me a few fits, until i realized that one of my chokes, was not seated properly. but out playing on it always put a smile on my face.
    i put just a few videos on my build, and you can see how it acted. my oldest son treated it more like a jet ski. and even though he put it though the paces, there was a few times, we thought he was going to swamp it. but it would jump right up on step, and he would be off again.
    never did trust it in the rivers where i live, (yet) i still am pretty green behind the ears, when driving it.
    but i am excited about the few mods that i will be doing this winter and will see how next summer goes.
    it will be fun to see how your boat comes together.
    so have fun and enjoy the journey.