Thread: No near explosion this time

No near explosion this time

We made it out to our swan place this time with out an explosion or fire.
    Put out our swan decoys, moved a bit , put out the goose decoys, and the duck decoys went on the other side of our hidey hole.
    We waited for about 35 minutes for shooting time and daylight.
    This lake we are hunting is a distention mecca for goose/duck hunters across the north west.
    There had to be 200 hunters hidden around the lake, shooting time and we herd one shot...
    The big giant fly off feeding frenzy did not happen. We have had 3 days of 60 mph wind we thought the calm day forecasted would find the sky full of birds. NOPE not even many ducks changing among the ponds.
    By 9:30 maybe 20 shots fired around the lakes odd indeed.
    But things where looking up we could see birds in the air . A few pairs of ducks would swing by and check out the spread. Finally what we risked life and limb for , a string of about 10 swan and they where bee lining for our white trash bags. We hunkered down in the boat/duck blind and set motionless. The seconds felt like hours as the started to drop in to our set. An eternity past when the boy sprang up and hollered "Kill'm"
    One, two three shots and then three more, On the last shell in my gun I connected and a big swan splashed down.
    NO IDEA WHY we did not both get a swan. My son is an out standing shot gun shot. That he proved earlier this morning on ducks, but no swan, WOW. BUMMER!
    We retrieved the big white bird and set there till 12:30 with out another shot. Picked up the deke's and went back. It is hard to complain with near a limit in ducks and a giant swan but it was slow hunting.

Re: No near explosion this time

even a slow day on the water, is better than a fast day at work. nice to see what you do in your spare time. keep it up.

Hey, Coyotes: Not passing judgement, but asking for the purpose of education. What state do you live in? I'm in Iowa, and I'd have to double-check, but I think it's illegal here to take a swan. They are seldom seen anywhere around these parts.

Roger

Here we can.
    In the Pacific flyway where I am we have to put in for a tag.
    They give out 500 tags we can shoot trumpeter or tundra swan.
    In the Central flyway you can buy over the counter tag but only for
    Tundra swan.