Thread: starter heat shield

starter heat shield

Anybody have an idea how to protect a starter from rain. I have found lots of heat shields but none completely protects the starter from water.

Re: starter heat shield

Yes, there's plenty of heat shields out there but most are designed to keep the heat from the block/headers from heatsoak from one side or the other...The wrap style wouldn't do it most likely it would hold water in after a good rain and not protect it well enough in the first place so that style is out...

And the biggest problem is getting any pre-made shield clocked correctly so it does the job...
    You could make up a metal shield to go over the starter and fasten it using your two mounting bolts at the rear but thats alot of fab work...
    Here's what I'm thinking...You'd want something to not only shield the water {like a roof} but possibly come down over the sides directing the water off/around the part yet still not obstruct any valuable airflow to the prop...
    The only way I could think to get a cover that would fit perfectly would be to:
    1} cover the starter with a large plastic baggie/shopping bag
    2}Using a fabric of your choice cut patterns to address each area of the starter...
    3} dip the fabric patterns in a fiberglass resin then place them on the starter in layers to make the perfect shield/cover
    this way you could bring the shield down over each side, even the front, as far as you see fit...
    If the shield fits too tight you could always add small{say foam?} spacers to lift the shield fractions of an inch off the starter for air circulation...
    And even possibly add tabs in the beginning of the process so you could use two worm gear hose clamps around the barrel of the starter to hold the shield in place as well as/instead of the two mounting bolts...
    How's that for brainstorming ???
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Corky; 10-10-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Why is water not a problem on your truck ???? There is no special covering, just a drain hole. Other then all out rust on a 12 volt system fresh water should not cause any problem. ???

coyotes-r-us the water gets inside the starter and locks up the solenoid or shortes it out. this is my second starter with stuck solenoid. corky i like the fiberglass idea the best and a permanent solution. thanks for the brainstorm.

My starter is under my cyls and I still have to coax it to work after it's sat a while. I'll have to put the heat gun on it after I've ran it and see how hot it gets. I think my problem is rain though.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA