Thread: Jon boat to mini airboat

Jon boat to mini airboat

I posted on here yesterday but can't find it,I'm old so guess I
    forgot where it is .
    I have a 14x48 Jon right now it's a long tail but want to change to a mini
    How big of a motor will I need to run the river? I was thinking a 20Hp, where
    can I find plans on how to build cage,motor mount,steering ect?
    I appreciate any help or advice good or bad,
    Thank you

Re: Jon boat to mini airboat

I'm not a lot of help But... What size motor was your mud motor? An Air prop is WAY less efficient then a prop in the water. In my mind you will need MORE HP then your Long tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotes-R-Us View Post
    I'm not a lot of help But... What size motor was your mud motor? An Air prop is WAY less efficient then a prop in the water. In my mind you will need MORE HP then your Long tail.

Right now I have a 6,5 Predator with stage one which brings it
    up to 10Hp.The boat is fine in the current but doesn't do the best in shallows
    it needs a foot of water I get tired of getting out of the boat and pull
    it to deeper water the mini air boat looks like fun and would cure my
    problem I also plan on putting FrogSpit,Wetlander or something in that order
    to have a slick bottom

My boy has a 14foot and a 27 hp. kollar . It does about 10 In deep water and about 15 in a foot or less, It will grind through the mud remarkably well. We have Gaiter Glide on the bottom. Working on a catrermeran 11'6" by 7'2" With a VW 1600cc and a 54" 3 blade composite prop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A little better pic

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotes-R-Us View Post
    My boy has a 14foot and a 27 hp. kollar . It does about 10 In deep water and about 15 in a foot or less, It will grind through the mud remarkably well. We have Gaiter Glide on the bottom. Working on a catrermeran 11'6" by 7'2" With a VW 1600cc and a 54" 3 blade composite prop.
    I know I'll put some kind of slick on the bottom no matter which way I
    go,even thought of a surface drive.
    That catermeran sounds interesting that's another reason I'd like to do the
    mini air boat thing it'd be different around here

Welcome to the site...
    I haven't found your post from yesterday either so don't feel bad...I've got an old 14x48 Jon boat that's a mini {it's in the introductions forum} and I only draft about 3-4 inches of water...I'd say a 20hp engine will get it done but as already pointed out it won't be as efficient as a prop in the water...But the bonus is you'll lose a bunch of weight, sit higher in the water, go where you'd never even think about now, and have some fun building it in the process...
    Harbor freight has the predator engine usually on sale and some have begun to use it for this application...I've always got 20% off coupons laying around here if you need one...
    There's no "plans" for each build but there are some major guidelines and measurements that need to be followed and the rest will fall into place...I had no "plans" for my latest build and just thought each step through before I got to that point...I basically read all the info on this site,seen how each builder approached their needs,asked a bunch of questions along the way, then chose the best route for my build...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop