Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough time in just one summer...

Unhappy Not enough time in just one summer...

As summer has come and gone it makes you wonder how one would think you'd get so much more done than you actually did......And now I see the older you get the less you get done in a certain timeframe...But it doesn't stop me from planning projects like I'm still moving around like a 20 year old......I bought a 99 dodge durango for a tow mule that wouldn't matter if it got a few dents or dings here and there pulling the new airboat to different ramps around the area...It just needed "a little" work... Yeah, right...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Re: Not enough time in just one summer...

But as some on here already know...I can't just let it go and get carried away quickly...Before long the vehicle looked like this... With every panel off the vehicle during a double rocker panel replacement...My wife knows how I get with these vehicle "repairs" and said don't get carried away...She knows all too well what happens...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

And as usual I didn't listen and it snowballed quickly...I sandblasted the entire frame and undercarriage front to back..Sandblasted and rebuilt the rear axle assembly with new bearings,new brake hardware {everything even the brake wheel cylinders}...New shocks front and back...Front suspension got all new brake hardware, balljoints where needed{and some that didn't need it too..} Pulled and cleaned the throttle body and installed new gaskets...Yes it's a disease !!!

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

But of course...If you've assumed this isn't the end of the story you would be correct.......At first I was going to spot repair a few minor areas here and there... But it kept growing as I went...Next I found a perfect rear hatch and replaced the old one since it was crispy at the bottom..Which leads to today, I just finished sealing the whole vehicle getting ready for a fresh coat of PR4 flame red paint !!...And I expected to have this done by april...How did I do ??? So needless to say I'm behind a little and the wife was upset about not having a tow vehicle all summer and as a {expensive}consequence I had to get her some entertainment to drive...This made her happy for the time being... How has everyone's summer gone ???
    Last edited by Corky; 10-07-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Wait a minute! When you started you had a red dodge . The last pic is a white Chevy. That's some good body work. I have a Buick can you make it in to Lamborghini?

wow you have it bad. watch out bank account. and i'll take one of those chevys to.

Yeah, it's rough I know...
    You'd think I'd have learned by now how the "cheap" vehicles go...But I couldn't pass it up...I paid a whopping $350.00 for it with 4 new tires....I just wanted the durango to be problem free for a while not spend as much time and money as I've done...But I'm coming out the other end of the tunnel now... The biggest issue now is getting the shop clean enough to paint in there...I'm shooting it with a single stage urethane so if/when something might happen it's an easy,relatively cheap touch-up...
    I told my wife I was going to paint it like the airboat with the stars and stripes.... She said she'd never be caught in it if I painted it like that so simple flame red will have to do......

It was a toss-up between a newer truck and the camaro...Obviously the camaro won but the durango getting finished for use was part of that deal..We've had other camaros and trans-ams before and none could be driven in the winter this one is no different...

So anyhow, since there's no water out here in the river I figured I'd go full steam ahead and try to get this done and when the water does come back up I can get back to the fun...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

And pardon me if I'm wrong, but didn't you start off to build an airboat with the intention of running it? LOL
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Yes I did.....And this durango was supposed to be something quick and easy to tow it...I do have other vehicles I can use to get it in the water but the water level out there the last month has been too low to even run it...I'll post some pics of what I'm referring to then you can see....

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Hi Corky,

WOW !!! I like the Camaro. My retired buddy in Virginia purchased a white base model two years ago. It is rather snappy with that 300 pony V6. But I think yours is a bit more snappy... I can't read the badge on the grill... SS or RS ? 6.2 engine ?

No water in the river... So I guess we need a "road" cruise instead of a "river" cruise !

kent

Hey Kent,
    Well, it's really supposed to be her replacement for the commute to work so the v8 was'nt the correct choice for the replacement...It's an RS which get's you the 20 inch rims and Z rated tires and a bunch of other goodies..As well as the upgraded handling and HID light package..So yes it's the 325 HP V6 with a 6 speed manual trans that still gets you 27-29MPG on the highway...She's had a few Trans Ams and Camaros over the years and missed having one so she got her pick...It seems strange to me I had a 70 SS chevelle years ago it was white with black stripes and manual trans so it's somewhat like a throwback to me looking out over the cowl hood every time I run it..
    Last edited by Corky; 10-10-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Well, as promised I'll post the pics of the water out here...As you can see the old mini is pretty much high and dry...And that's about 30ft out from the actual bank of the river... I've never had to leave it so far out there before just to get out there and catch a fish...It's a work out just pulling it off the rocks each trip...
    You can see in the second pic the rock ledges stacked every so many feet apart it's a real maze to travel anywhere without getting slammed by the time you let your guard down...What you can't see in the pic is the ducks that are standing around out there and they're not getting their knees wet !!!... I wish I was kidding about that but I'm not...Mabe I need to build an aircanoe for this type of water...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I crossed the Clarks ferry bridge the other day and looked downstream. I remember 3.2 but never this low. I may have to put my boat in and check it out. Years ago when I was young my grandfather put a hatchet Mark on a rock at low water. I'd like to see if I can find it again, I may have to take the canoe.

Edit
    When you run out of things to do my jeep could use a few patches and paint. It will be a short job for you. Lol
    Last edited by Papee; 10-11-2017 at 05:38 AM.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Well, as promised I'll post the pics of the water out here...As you can see the old mini is pretty much high and dry...And that's about 30ft out from the actual bank of the river... I've never had to leave it so far out there before just to get out there and catch a fish...It's a work out just pulling it off the rocks each trip...
    You can see in the second pic the rock ledges stacked every so many feet apart it's a real maze to travel anywhere without getting slammed by the time you let your guard down...What you can't see in the pic is the ducks that are standing around out there and they're not getting their knees wet !!!... I wish I was kidding about that but I'm not...Mabe I need to build an aircanoe for this type of water...
    Maybe it is time to kick this up a notch.... WIGE Wing In Ground Effect.... google that.... <<<LOL>>> kent

You know, that would be perfect!! I bet I could build something like that...Here's a link for anyone looking to see what Kent is referring to.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSeZ1eQzDvI

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I have enough trouble now, if I forget to slow down for a turn I go for a loop. Going straight no problem.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I figured with the rain here and there I might see a significant jump in the river...But so far nothing...Just a few tenths of a foot and back down by the weekend......
    Kent, I'm thinking you have a better chance at adding some wings and getting airborne than I do......Your engine was already in the air it would know what to do...
    Last edited by Corky; 10-14-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Well, since the water isn't cooperating with my new build I didn't waste any time this weekend ...Figuring this might be the last near 70 degree weekend here I went ahead and sprayed the tow vehicle body to get it done...Nothing fancy just a single stage urethane in PR4 flame red as originally colored on the durango...Man am I glad that's over...The paint flowed out nicely and is super smooth and shiny...I still need to prep the bumpers and shoot them with a flex additive in the paint but that can be done at any time after all the major assembly is done... the new boat and tow rig should look good on the road...
    Last edited by Corky; 10-28-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

beautiful work corky i love to see a job like this come together. my x wife had one and loved it but when it got too many miles on it 200,000 thousand she traded it in on a new honda wth all the new fancy stuff. not me my minivan turned 200,000 this week and going strong. the last van had 498000 thousand. before being retired to junk yard. you got something there that should last a long time.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 10-31-2017 at 11:36 AM.

I figured I'd throw up some more progress pics on the tow vehicle...There's so much work involved getting it done I'll show just how much masking goes into something like this when doing the door jambs,rear lift gate, etc...Not only do you need to cover the whole vehicle for the jambs but then you need to mask the jambs for the vehicle paint !!,,After that comes reassembly of the exterior items like door latches,mirrors,rear lift gate hardware...Yeah, I went overboard on the cheap tow vehicle...More pics tomorrow I need some of where I'm at now...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine