Thread: New Air Boat Power ?

Forum Reader

New Air Boat Power ?

New Fella here been reading up on some Mini Builds, Question clutch prop hub drives? The circle drive with bearing support impressed me. Very nice unit, The talk about clutch hows that done like a snowmobile clutch or...Maybe someone can steer me the right way please?! I have been considering early 90 s formula plus or Mach 1 or formula mx, snowmobile engines BUT any other ideas tips Id appreciate, The Suzuki 1300 4 stroke seems nice but hows weight? I am thinking a light hull 150 pound and chrome moly tubes would make for a light machine, If the engine wasn't heavy, all about 100 plus horsepower, Has anyone used this type engine in they're home built air boat? Its also water cooled which is also nice compared to air cooled, I guess the tricks keeping the weight down, Thanx Mike

Re: New Air Boat Power ?

I'm attempting to use an old Johnson snowmobile clutch drive mated to a VW bug motor.
    Still way under construction. I'll use it on ice as well as water so it has to be air cooled.

I don't know of anyone successfully using a clutch setup. The problem with a clutch setup is idle. You need the idle to move around slowly. A clutch setup would kick in at a certain rpm and you would lose the ability to move around slow. With that said, there may be enough contact to move the prop even though the clutch is not engaged.

Motorcycle engines have been used with good results. It's not a very popular build so a lot of trial and error will be needed. You'll need to figure out what gear to use to make full use of the engines torque curve then a reduction may be needed to keep the prop speed where it needs to be depending on the prop you use. This is between 2800 and 3100 rpm. If your engine makes it's best power at 4500 you have to use reduction to get it down to the right prop speed.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Forum Reader

Thank you for the replies. There sure is a lot to learn. Papee if yo uwere looking for a 100 horsepower engine would you go lightweight snowmobile liquid cooled engine? Weight is critical . I really like a aluminium Hull with Polymer and a 4 stroke like the Suzuki 1300 has me Interested.

An air cooled engine is easier to build around...But in the long run a liquid cooled engine is more stable with regards to operating temps...IMO the Suzuki 1300 is a great choice...Say the engine weighs 200-225...That's still not bad for a 100hp engine..
    Last edited by Corky; 09-08-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Wow.
    That is good.
    My 1600cc VW is 280 and no water