Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuning my 084 with the stock carburetor

Re: Tuning my 084

Now I feel I'm ready for the water !! The engine runs much cooler...I can hold it at 2000 rpm indefinitely and the temps hold steady at 450*...2500 gets me 475* holding steady...This is on the trailer and not moving so I should be fine...I ran it for about 1/2 an hour and varied the rpms here and there...
    The oil temp gauge did go up until 200* and leveled off there...I'm not sure if that's good or bad?...I checked the oil cooler the oil is 30 degrees cooler as it comes out so it's working nicely...
    Here's the plugs...Keep in mind this new engine only has 4 hours on it now it looks to me the rings aren't fully seated yet and hopefully the plugs will clean up even better with time...As before the front two plugs are running more rich than the back two...And the back,right{number3} is the leanest of them all..And the exhaust temps reflect this...
    Edit :I wanted to add my unexpected moment of the day......After posting about the mods and how nice it runs I went back out and started the next phase which was just a monitoring session to put some time on the engine and check the operating temps etc...And I couldn't get it started !!!...So I messed around with the throttle,choke etc.., fired it and it proceeded to run rough as heck !!! The AFR was super rich in the 9s at 2000rpm?....So i shut it down wondering what was going on that's when I saw the gas running out the carb...My first carb malfunction !!! Yep, the curse of the opened carb... I was just in there so now it's going to break ME in...Rather than tap on the bowl hoping it was just the float I pulled the carb again and thoroughly cleaned the carb...There was some corrosion on the carb body{inside the bowl} from sitting since 1990 empty...And some other dislodged "dust" in there...So it had a date with the brush,carb cleaner and blow gun... Put it back together,installed it in record time{I can see where I could get fast at doing that} and it was back to normal and running as good as ever...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Corky; 09-10-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Re: Tuning my 084

So in conclusion of this thread I've got the engine tuned for this application using the stock carb...All in all it was a pretty simple having the right guys for oversight and tools to do the job..This should help others having trouble with a lean condition which probably happens a lot in our application if you miss it you want to go rich not lean it'll run too hot...Best advice I can give at this point is tune the engine between the leanest and most rich plug and find a good compromise between the two...The stock carb leaves quite a bit to be desired as everyone has warned me before I went into this thread but I wanted to show what can be done with it...You don't need an AFR meter you can simply read the plugs but the meter sure does help and speeds up the process...

Thanks to everyone involved in this thread...Bobby{Bgmcl60},Bart, Papee and Kent thanks a bunch for the great input and info I think we have some good thoughts and reference material for others...Good luck with those stock carbs everyone !!...
    Last edited by Corky; 09-14-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop