Quote Originally Posted by bgmcl60 View Post
i would run it just below 450 and let run there and maybe loosen up and fix the problem. unless you have way out of time. if you had to put a fan blowing on it to keep it cool at least run it and give it a chance to seat in and if it don't you have an internal engine problem. no telling what. broke ring to tight of piston. no telling what you will find. but most engines i rebuilt or even new short blocks i installed run hotter for a bit before they seated rings. if timing is set right and fuel ratio is close than friction is causing over heating.
Yes I know what you're saying about the first few hours on a new engine..This is the crucial time for break-in with the friction...I've added an oil additive with ZDDP to help the lifters and cam, etc... The oil cooler is doing it's job it's a good 20-30 degrees cooler than the oil temps at any given time..
Yes, I can run the engine and get some hours on it...It runs fine and there's really no cooling problem to speak of I was just wondering why it heats up so quickly... It cools down fast into the 400-425 range as soon as you drop the RPMs...
I realize in summary the engine is new, running a touch lean, and it's on the trailer while I'm tuning it..Now it's time for the next stage from the stock configuration and that's the factory carb mods...