Thread: 4a084 won't start

4a084 won't start

My 084 fired up tonight for the first time . Missing some on 2 cylinders I think . I touched a screwdriver to wire screw that is shielded on mag to kill the engine and know it won't fire . Any ideals ?

Re: 4a084 won't start

i would check the mag and make sure no wires are touching the kill tabs. if thats ok then pull all plugs and connect to spark plug wires and spin it over. make sure the plugs are grounded to engine. lay them on the engine and spin it over and watch for spark. if none most likely the points are dirty. need cleaning or replacing if a new engine cleaning might fix it. make sure you know the procedure before removing the mag. just removing the cap can throw it out of sink.

Quote Originally Posted by bgmcl60 View Post
    i would check the mag and make sure no wires are touching the kill tabs. if thats ok then pull all plugs and connect to spark plug wires and spin it over. make sure the plugs are grounded to engine. lay them on the engine and spin it over and watch for spark. if none most likely the points are dirty. need cleaning or replacing if a new engine cleaning might fix it. make sure you know the procedure before removing the mag. just removing the cap can throw it out of sink.
    I checked one plug yesterday no fire will check rest today . Thanks for your help. Sawmill

Quote Originally Posted by Sawmill View Post
    I checked one plug yesterday no fire will check rest today . Thanks for your help. Sawmill
    Worked on plug wires all firing but one is questionable still will probably cut it and redo the end like the other three how do you tell what mag is on it ? If it's a Fairbanks what is sequence to check points ? Thanks for everyone's help ! Is new plug wires available or should I try converting them to auto wires ?

if you are working on original wires its best to get one from saturn surplus if you need more than one it's your choice. the fairbank mag has the plug wires out the side and the slick mag the come straight out top. never had my hands on a fairbanks mag and know nothing about them. if its a slick mag i poster a reference on how to do minor work on them. you don't want to use the original plug wire cover on the slick mag if you replace the wires with automotive wires the cover is aluminum and will short plug wire if the wire slips out of cap just a bit. you can use a piece of plexiglas and cut to fit the mag and drill the plug wire holes and holes for the 3 screws. i also posted a how to safely convert auto plug wires to the slick mag while using the aluminum cover.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 09-03-2017 at 01:33 PM.