Thread: Hello Guys

Forum Reader

Hello Guys

My names Is Slade and I am from South East Arkansas. I have been in a couple airboats just a couple of times and I LOVED IT! I have a 4 year old son and I am now looking to possible build my first one so I can take him riding for some fun as well! He is super intelligent for his age and I want to expose hime to as many things as I can. I also have a farm and my step-dad has a farm as well with shallow water swamps that have been taken over by vegetation. There is really good fishing and duck hunting in them but I simply can not navigate them because of the vegetation. So I got a place to ride, and I have a place to hunt and fish, I just do not have a fan boat! Hopefully I can change my last problem! I will want to start out on a jon boat because I have them laying around on the farm everywhere and that will help me stay on the lowest budget possible for my wife's sake hahahahaha. I also have a 8month old daughter as well. So budget I will definitely have. I can come across motors fairly regularly....but I do not know if they will have enough power or could be made into a fan boat. I know ZERO on this subject so hopefully you guys can teach me everything yaw know! Thankyou for taking the time to read this exxtremly long intro.

Re: Hello Guys

Welcome to the site.....Lots of good member here with the wisdom to get you on the water.....You'll have to list the jon boat sizes you have available and the engines as well then we can help you decide which combo would work the best for your intended use....

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Forum Reader

Thankyou! I have not checked out any motors at this point. Just got to thinking about it last night and then found this website this morning lol. I do know the biggest Jon Boat I have that i would like to try this with is a 14ft 36" bottom. Dont laugh hahahaha. My main goal is to have something that will travel across pretty thick alligator weed and occassional dry ground but very little of that. I am not interested in high speeds at this time but if this build works out and my son gets addicted I will be ready to drop alot of money on another project. My house will be paid for next year! That is going to open up my budget!

Forum Reader

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Welcome to the site.....Lots of good member here with the wisdom to get you on the water.....You'll have to list the jon boat sizes you have available and the engines as well then we can help you decide which combo would work the best for your intended use....
    I was looking at the Harbor Freight Predator motor. What sized motor would you think would get me started? Thankyou again.

No laughing here...OK maybe a little........Seriously though...I have a 14ft jon just like that and I've got a 13HP kohler on it...It could really use a bigger engine it will go through some grass if you're moving but not great...I'd say go big on the engine and make the cage fit the prop you need some torque to roll through the grass...Rule of thumb is usually keeping the prop as wide as the hull, but you need to do what has to be done ...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Forum Reader

Thankyou so much Corky! Do I have to buy a reduction kit for the engine I am looking at or for a kohler engine like u mentioned above? Those things are pretty pricey from what I have seen.

No...You'll be fine with direct drive and a wood prop...All you'd need is the hub to install on the crankshaft...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I forgot to mention...You won't be running dry with a jon boat...First reason is you won't have the power to weight ratio needed no matter which engine you choose at this level...And most importantly a jon boat has the ribbed bottom which doesn't lend itself well to any sliding turns on water let alone dry ground...If running dry is a must then you need to build/buy a hull with that in mind and you're needing some serious HP and torque...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Hi LowePro and welcome!
    I started out many years ago with a 14' jon and a 440 Rockwell (now Cuyuna) direct drive unit. It ran well with one person and planed OK. I agree with Corky, you won't be running dry and probably won't plane with two aboard unless it's a child. It will get you into the marsh pretty well and the ducks will most assuredly hear you coming (as in LOUD). I've seen many going with the 23hp predator engine and that might be a good starting point for you as it's not too much $$ and there are props and hubs for it. Spend some time looking through the builds on this site and you'll gain a lot of information.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Welcome!

Just to let you know, this can be done. Years ago I had an old Sears 14 ft with a 3ft bottom. I put on a 8hp Briggs and a 36 inch prop. I had a bunch of extra weight on like a larger wooden front deck, radio, etc. It moved along pretty good for what it was. One day I decided to take all the weight out I could and the darn thing got up on plane. That was my first lesson on keeping things light. I may want to add that I was also about 80lbs lighter back then. Good luck with your build and ask plenty of questions. Some of us have already made all the mistakes.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA