Thread: Place to keep airboat out of weather

Place to keep airboat out of weather

i.ve been using a tarp to cover mine up and what a pain. expecially if you use it a lot. well i saw these car canopys at walmart for 88 bucks shipped to your house. problem was they are not tall enough for an airboat to fit. fixed that by adding a 3 ft section of pipe to legs. same size as top rail pipe for chain link fencing and home depot has the connectrs to join it together. i added a screw to each joint to hold it together. 3 ft is too tall and i think 1 ft would plenty to add. nice to back your boat under the tarp and not have to mess with tying a tarp over it.

Re: Place to keep airboat out of weather

Caution.
    I used one for about 1 season
    About.
    I used it to cover my 20" jet boat.
    Same here I made it 2 feet taller.
    I hade concrete pillar blocks Attached
    to each leg 8 of them, AND extra cinder
    Blocks lashed to the corners...
    A BIG wind came up one fall day.
    The cover, pipes and concrete ended
    Up on my neighbors garage roof.
    One of the pillar blocks went through the roof.
    Just saying...
    I now have a two boat carport!

anything can happen with weather. i bought one for my x wife and kept her car under it for 5 or 6 years with only 5 gallon buckets of concrete holding it down. she took it with her when she left and still using it.

I was thinking about using a canopy also...I've had them for various vehicles over the years and as stated the wind can have it's way if it wants to...Some of the bigger canopies have screw in anchor rods to tie off and I've seen them get ripped right out of the ground...So we tried 5 gallon pails of concrete AND those anchors...And the wind threw them around......So I've been contemplating just how to anchor a canopy without the fear of it flying off to Kansas with Dorothy and Toto...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Now that my new build has been outside all summer your idea of that canopy is looking like a great idea...Even with the cover pulled tight I still get water pooling in areas after a hard rain...I can see where this is heading with ice and snow...I may need to go to plan B before the snow flies....

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Here's my budget solution. My bow rope is long enough to reach the cage. I tie the bow rope to the top of the cage. Next I put a small piece of rubber roofing over the cage to help with the tarp rubbing on the cage. I throw a tarp over it that covers the whole boat using my push pole to put the tarp on so I don't have to crawl in the boat then bungee it down. I have enough tarp in the rear to wrap the cage around the back. It takes about 15 minutes and no water or snow, the snow slides off.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

i just back my boat under canopy and unhitch. to me it's a pain in the rear with a tarp

I'm already tired of taking the cover on and off...... I use a broom to hoist the cover up and over the cage...And it's still a pain...I did the same thing papee I bought a long pontoon boat cover and it can wrap the front and back of the cage... I like the rope idea...But I still like the canopy best.....Trouble down here is I can see for miles and the wind is unobstructed for the same amount of miles...I've tried canopys down here and they don't last the winter...I guess it's time for a few more bays on the shop......Just kidding !!

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Ah the benefits to having a beater boat like mine. When I get back from fishing I just throw the rubber roofing over the prop and motor. I don't tarp it till I put it away for the season.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA