Thread: open wood hull

open wood hull

Made from 3 sheets of 1/4" plywood, some 1x3 boards and fiberglass. Around 5.5'x10'. This guy down the road from me built it. He builds wood catfish boats all the time. So he threw this together real quick and made it look easy. It has a Briggs 18hp and 40" ultra prop. Just a new idea for someone wanting to make their own. Although for anyone interested I think it's for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: open wood hull

Very nice !! I like the design..Looks to be 2ft{+ or-}at the bow....Any more pics ??? I've been thinking about building one very much like that hull and use a predator 21 HP engine just to fly around in...Do you have any idea what the hull weighs ??? If he takes it out try to get a video of it so we can see how well it does please...
    Last edited by Corky; 08-17-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I'm guessing it probably weighs about 120-150lbs. The front is about 3' wide. The seem looks like a T from the bottom 2 sheets meet in the middle and 1 goes across the front. I wouldn't be surprised if he don't ride it again he just built it for fun. He will be building something new before long and sell it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Very nice !! I like the design..Looks to be 2ft{+ or-}at the bow....Any more pics ??? I've been thinking about building one very much like that hull and use a predator 21 HP engine just to fly around in...Do you have any idea what the hull weighs ??? If he takes it out try to get a video of it so we can see how well it does please...
    Corky, If you want to chat about old style plywood hulls, let's get together. I can share what Dad, my brother and myself did back in the day.....
    kent

I was wondering how he got the width with only 3 sheets ...Now I can see the center overlap piece since you've pointed out the technique..I've noticed when it comes to a boat, the angle of any pics really throw off the perception of the dimensions thanks for the clarification...It looks like a simple,fun boat to play around with...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Quote Originally Posted by kent View Post
    Corky, If you want to chat about old style plywood hulls, let's get together. I can share what Dad, my brother and myself did back in the day.....
    kent
    Kent I'd love to see some of the old plywood hulls from back then...You just don't see them around here like you used to and I miss that...At one time it seemed there were more plywood boats than other materials...We had a few also but I don't think any of our pics survived from the 60s-70s that I know of...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Corky,
    I don't have many photos either... back in the day, wood was easy to work and easy to obtain. Plywood was first rate... now, I'm almost sure, you would have to special order marine plywood from a place like Middletown Lumber (on a local level). A good table saw to rip clear lumber into the needed stringers, knees, and cross pieces and you are in business.

Today, aluminum and migs have the edge, along with longevity for the hulls....
    kent