Thread: New to the 4a084

New to the 4a084

So I have never messed with a 4a084 before just picked one up to build my son a boat what are some thing I need to know mine has no starter or anything bare engine and dd 64" 4 blade warp drive prop
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by agfab17; 08-01-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Re: New to the 4a084

looks like you have some fun times coming up with your build. it really got my attention. when seeing your motor, with the 32/36 progressive carb on it. that is one of the directions that i am going with my 084 motor. i didn't realize that the VW manifold would mate up to the intakes. it looks a lot cleaner than what i put together last winter.
    an other question, do you have any information on what the jetting the former owner used? i have read and went over a lot of information about what jetting might work. but still just a little bit from starting it up. just to many distractions.

looking at your pictures a little bit, it looks like at one time there probably was a flywheel mounted to the front pulley, (which both are missing) if you look on one of Papee's threads he had a starter mounted similar to that style, at one time. on his 084. (just wondering what the old owner did with it,) you can pickup a new rope pulley and stator at saturn surplus for around 40 dollar. (i think)

anyway just looking at the motor you have, is making me want to get mine started up, now that i have seen another motor with the 32/36 carb on it. just to see if it will do what i think it will.
    good luck with what you have, and I cant wait to see how you put it together.

I have seen a video of it running it ran like a scalded dog as far as the front rope pulley goes is it metal and what all do ihalf to do to start the engine I don't see any wires for the mag

the mag creates its own spark, if you turn the prop over by hand you will hear a loud clicking noise coming from the mag, (for each time it creates a spark)
    on the back of your mag, there should be a grounding tab. (which when grounded will kill the spark) that needs to be wired to your on/off switch.
    if you take the time and look at a few of the builds, like Corky's, Aerokirks & Papee's, and some of the threads in the 4a084 motor section. you can find a lot of useful information, that many have posted. that can answer many of the questions that you will be asking, but by all means if you get hung up on something, ask away.
    below is a picture of mine with the grounding tab circled

what vw did this intake come from?

I'm not sure I know the carb is a 2 barrel webber

to find the intake, look up "Volkswagon Type 3 Weber Progressive Carburetor", and that could get you on the right path.
    the link below is a good one to look at for some used ones
    https://www.thesamba.com/vw//classif...er=DESC&page=0

a couple of things to think about when installing the starter with the chevy ring gear,
    i followed what Doozit did on his build,
    you need to remove the balance weight that is tack welded on to the flywheel. "it is there to balance out the torque converter"
    if you use the starter that came with your motor, you will need to take in consideration the nose cone, so it doesn't hit the prop. we both fabbed up spacers to hold the ring gear away from the prop. and we also had to modify the nose cone so it would clear the ring gear, the the different angle, that the starter is mounted to the block.
    i like the type of starter that bhmcl60 is using, it simplifies it so much, as to where you don't need to worry about that dang nose cone clearance. ( i picked up a starter like style that a couple of weeks ago. and it was a whole lot simpler to match up.
    i also had a friend with a milling machine help me enlarge the center hole on the flywheel. so it would be centered on the prop hub.

but as you can see what bgmcl60 did with his, he started out with the flex plate and then changed over to a belt redrive system. and was able to incorporate the same starter on both systems.
    Last edited by Bart; 08-02-2017 at 04:20 PM.

This is my starter and the flex plate has no balance weight

That's an interesting carb set-up there...I see in the last pic there's a mopar style voltage regulator fastened to the stand too...Here's three pics from the site Bart referenced looks like a nice, clean adaptation to the 084...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

if I am understanding correctly, you don't have the front pulley, if so the simplest way, is to go to the saturn surplus web page. their link is at the top of this page, give them a call, i don't know if they carry the nuts that hold it on though.
    there has been some talk in the past about the durability of the front pulley flange handling the torque that the flywheel exerts on it when starting, but there have been many that have put the flywheel on the front of the motor,( just have a guard on it so you don't lean into it. while you are working on the motor when it is running.)
    this might be the simplest thing to do, to get it up and running.