Thread: First time lake buggy build

First time lake buggy build

Yall ive got a question that I'm sure has been answered 233 times on this site but I cant seem to find the answer as of yet. Heres the deal. I'm planning on building the 1 person lake buggy and use to harbor fright predator 22hp engine. Direct drive. cheap as possible. Am I crazy thinking this will plane out? And input I sure could use before I waste my time and money building something that's just gonna push water. Thank you

Re: First time lake buggy build

Hello and welcome to the site...
    With one person payload and building it as light as possible I'm sure you can jump it up on plane...I haven't seen any real long term feedback with the predator engine being used but for the price it seems like a good choice.
    Keep in mind using 1/4 inch thick plywood or less dictates water with no obstacles... You'll need to plan it out carefully for your intended use...Have you contacted any of the popular guys that are offering the kits ???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

No I have looked high and low online for a kit! Maybe you can point me in that direction. I live in NW Fl and we don't have many shallow body's of water here like down south. Lakes,rivers and shallow ponds mostly. Not really sure if the plans from Lake buggy and a 22hp engine is the right choice but as of now that's all I can find. I don't wanna spend 10k on a airboat. Just a toy mostly

This is probably the most popular site for the lake buggy not actually a kit but plans to build one... Most will slightly modify the design to suit their needs... Here's the link http://www.airboatfun.com/
    Last edited by Corky; 07-27-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Yes that's the site I got my plans from today. I wasn't sure if a company offered a better kit. I'm new to airboats so I'm reading up as much as I can. If I can plane a little plywood airboat out and I'm into a project 2 or 3 thousand I'll be happy. I appreciate your time bud.thanks

Years ago {30-50 years that is}plywood was the only hulls used around here..And they did well...Obviously the more HP you had available the more forgiving the design/weight could be overcome...At the 22hp level I can tell you the biggest problem is deviating from the plans/adding to/overbuilding the hull and adding too much weight...You'll need to focus on keeping it simple and know if you hit something or run into trouble there's not much between you and the water..
    In my opinion you'd be further ahead building the hull knowing it's not a tank to run crazy and you've built it super light to have fun at the expense of the "what if" worst case scenario...

Since your area isn't the same as southern fla. you need to decide just what you expect to do with it...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I understand. That does make sense. Its definitely gonna be a new learning experience.

OK let me ask you this.. Which plans are you going to use ?? The single man open hull plans {10hp} or the two man "deck over" style {20hp}??

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I'm building the single man boat

Right now the biggest issue is bending the bottom sheet up in the front. I went with a gradual bend on the side boards,nothing to extreme.I just don't wanna crack the plywood

Good choice I like the one man design even when stepping up the HP...I've read and seen a few techniques for bending plywood...Most of us don't have access to a steamer so I'd probably be simply wetting the sheet and hoping for the best...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I appreciate the help bud. I hope this little thing runs like what I've seen online

Well, considering the one man plan was for less HP I'm guessing it should fly with a larger engine on it...Depending on the prop, in my opinion I might widen the hull dimensions out a touch for the bigger engine..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Corky do you have any suggestions for the bottom? If I go with just a wood bottom any suggestion on type of bottom paint? Will a boat this small be a waste of money to put a slick bottom on it? Also thinking about a single layer of fiberglass but if I were to do that not sure if just the resin would be slick enough.

The resin would add an impermeable layer to the wood..Keep in mind that resin itself isn't strong the strength comes from the glass mat{and the mat would add too much weight for this build IMO}...So you need to keep the resin thin,as in using a roller and "painting" it on the wood...Best case would be the first coat soaks into the wood and you need to add another thin cover coat..Just for the record if you do get it too thick it might shatter if you impact or stress the hull much like glass would...In summary yes if you added a thin layer it would not only add some waterproofing but improve the hull's ability to slide through the water..

Slick bottom would always help cut the tension between the hull and water...Could you add it directly to the wood ??? I'm not sure on that one I'd check with the manufacturer on that...I used Quickslick on my build which is an epoxy..It would certainly add a layer of strength and slip through the water much better if it can be used on wood... It's not cheap so that's a factor too..
    EDIT: I forgot to mention,if you go with a thin resin layer you can scuff the resin and still add the paint of your choice...Speaking of paint you can use just about anything if the boat is not docked in the water all the time..Heck, I used rustoleum on my red mini and that's in the water all summer long here{aluminum hull}..It's never come off yet...
    Last edited by Corky; 08-02-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Man I appreciate the input. It seems like this forum is dead. I don't know why. Seems like mini airboats are bad ass. Sad to see not many new posts. I got my hull 85% done. Caulk and paint left to go then the fun part starts. I thank you for your info

No troubles and glad to help......Building minis are fun !! I like the designing and other thoughts involved with the builds...If you can post some pics of the progress as you go we like to see the work in action...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Any progress on the hull ??? I found this video interesting...I would only glass in the joints at most and roll the rest to keep the weight down... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWud4a5Aj8
    Last edited by Corky; 08-18-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine