Thread: Health update

Health update

I've been getting a few PMs asking how I am so I figured I'd update. As most know I've had eight surgeries on my knees and have had them replaced twice. Over the last eight years I've had terrible pain at times making me bedridden. Some time ago I had a stimulator inserted in my back to control the pain. This worked some but I still had to be on strong opiate medicine just to be able to get out of bed. I've been on them for about six years.

My health was slowing going downhill so we made the decision to get off the meds. This is where I'm at now, going through withdrawals similar to a herion addict. It's probably the hardest thing I've had to do, I went cold turkey not even taking as much as an Advil. I'm almost a week into it now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I feel a little better each day and my head is feeling clearer than it has in years but I still get a little confused at times. I'm able to manage my pain by keeping my mind occupied most of the time but still have terrible bouts of pain. I'll know in another few days to a week just what I'll be left with as far as pain level. I made up my mind I'm going to do this and get back out on the water again. I'll update this again when I know more.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: Health update

Our thoughts and prayers are with you

I feel for you Papee...I was hoping that stimulator would be the magical solution to the pain...Hang in there and kick those pain pills..It's way too easy to fall into dependence on those as you've probably seen about the epidemic with them... Get a clear mind then determine what other avenues can be taken to get you up and doing the fun stuff in life... As always if you need anything I'm right down the road feel free to call anytime...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

its a struggle, our prayers are with you also, as you are looking for answers to your health problems. that you will receive the strength and inspiration that you need. take care

Wishing all the best for you Papee. Hopefully you will find a way to manage your pain without the pills. You've certainly helped a score of people with your knowledge and I'm sure you'll help a bunch more.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

It's been just over a month since I stopped. I got so weak that I got a lung infection/Bronchitis. I'm feeling bit better every day. I was able to get outside a bit yesterday and did a few chores. My legs did really well, no pain at all! I'm chomping at the bit to get out in the garage to work on Sony's boat but promised the wife I'd give it two more days. I'm still coughing a lot but feel better than I have in over ten years.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hey Papee glad to hear you're getting through this and are heading for better days...The weather will get warmer for us at the beginning of this week then it's back to some nice temps again ...That should make for some good days to get out there and move around...The river is down at the moment where it usually is this time of year..I actually saw a sailboat on the other side of the river in Millersburg last week I had to do a double take I don't think I've ever seen one out there before...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

When I was younger we lived behind the Trail Diner along the river. I had a small one I called the wet ass. I took the keel board off and had fun.

I always wanted to try my hand at sailing but never got the chance..
    Well, if you made it through today's 90s heat it looks like after tomorrow it's temps in the 70s during the day and 50s at night !!! That's some great weather to get out there moving around and get your mind off the issues at hand...I bet coming off those meds feels like a different world...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Speaking of Millersburg I ran across this old postcard on Ebay of all places check it out..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I haven't been outside other than doctors appointments. Interesting photo, my mothers house is about the left side where the trees end.