Thread: Hull to Prop orientation ?

Hull to Prop orientation ?

I'm about to make the motor mounts.
    A few questions ;
    When your boat is on "Plain" it is not flat so.
    What is a good starting point angle for the motor/prop?
    When on plain roughly what would be optimum?
    I know all are different and the sweet spot thing , Just looking for
    a starting point.
    Pushing down at the water makes the nose go down?
    Pushing up at the air make the back go down ?
    ISH...

Re: Hull to Prop orientation ?

True....everyone says if your hull is good, crank centerline needs to be as parallel as possible to the boat bottom so that the boat runs "free." That is the motor is not pushing the bow down or the transom up so that all thrust is propelling you forward. Chuck says if you have to pitch the engine to correct running, you have hooks or bubbles in your hull. So far I have been 3/4" low in the front and 3/8" high in the front. I gained 6 mph between the two but can't say it was that alone because I also re-pitched the prop from 3500 WOT rpm'/ to 3800.

Wonderful
    That's is where I'll start.
    Motor crank and prop hub shaft parallel to the bottom of the hull.
    How much movement would be needed ?

I am not sure, someone else will have to chime in. I have heard a quarter inch can make a huge difference. Personally I would make it to where you could adjust at least + or - an inch from level. You also have to figure in weight distribution. Make sure and try to make your rigging moveable, and keep your wiring so that you can move your battery around. I can't move my battery without major wiring so I may end up ditching the big battery and buying a lawn mower battery to reduce weight. I am definitely sitting ass-end heavy right now.

Thanks
    we will sitting up front, and the fuel Tank and battery will be in he center and upfront too.

Here's what I do to set a boat up from the beginning. Since there may be a difference between the rigging level at the mount and bottom of the boat even though you tried to get it parallel, I do the following. I make sure the bottom of the boat is exactly level by adjusting the trailer. Then I put a long straight edge on the hub of the prop. This will ensure you have the right plains to measure off. I put a level on the straight edge vertically to check plumb and adjust as needed. Your sweet spot should be 1/2" either way from that point depending on how your weight is distributed. This adjustment from plumb will only be for how your boat rides on the nose. You want your hull "free" you will be able to tell this when you move the stick from side to side easily. Your hull should create almost no wake behind it and the splash out the sides should be minimal and about 3/4 back on the hull. When your hull is running free your boat will be level with the water.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Wonderful thanks