Thread: auto plug wires for 084

auto plug wires for 084

i've been wanting to change my plug wires and decided to do something different. i could never keep the rubber boot on the mag secure. so i cut the steel webbing off the original wire right at the end and punched out the center where the webbing is pressed in and the auto wires fit perfectly through the nut just solder a terminal on the end or wrap it up so it won't ground out at the nut and thats it. i looked for some plastic nuts for the mag but no luck. i seen where duane scarborough had used some on his build. you need to put some orings on the plug wires to jam them so they won't slide out.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 07-15-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Re: auto plug wires for 084

last one. i used needle nose pliers to stretch the oring over the wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Aren't there some plugs we can get for these motors that allow us to use the regular auto wires? Don't know what you have to do at the mag though.

thanks for the pictures, i have read about this in some other threads on this forum.
    below is what Chuckitt wrote in the (084 mods) back in 09, but with out able to upload the pictures, i was not quite sure how to go about the change over to the automotive plugs and wires.

We changed the spark plugs and wires to automotive. We used the ACCEL # 3009 which are 7mm copper core wires with 90 degree boots. The plugs are Autolite 386. Set the plug gap to .020. We took the wire cap off the mag and cut the threaded bushings off and reamed the wire holes where it will fit over the mag block. The 90 degree boots we put on the mag end of wire came from the ACCEL wire set # 4041K. We had plenty of these left from wiring the v6 motors. To hold the wires on the mag, we drilled and taped a 10/24 thread in the center of the wire cap and bolted a pcs of polymer to keep the wires from coming off. We also put a #4 sheet metal screw in the end of each wire.

Now the Spark Plugs cost less than 2 dollars each and can be purchased at most auto parts stores.
    Thanks, Chuck

Since we're on this subject I'll ask a few questions...
    Aren't the original wires a solid core like a marine spark plug wire ??? If so you'll be adding a huge amount of resistance to the system using a standard automotive carbon,spiral core wire..
    On the marine wires...I was told other than getting brittle and the insulator cracking/or the core getting broke, the wires themselves never go bad.....
    Is there anything to be gained by using a different set of wires ??
    After reading what chuck went through to get a different set{which will never be as weather resistant as the originals} is it really worth the hassle of doing it ??

Not arguing, just trying to understand why the switch when it seems much simpler the get a replacement plug or wire....

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I think the idea behind the spark plug switch was the spark plugs themselves. Having a more readily available plug. My OEM plugs in right now are five years old I think and still look new. Tuned right these motors burn super clean and are not hard on plugs.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

i just like the price of auto plugs better and the plug wires i have corky are copper core wires.and you don't need to carry a special long reach socket to get them out.

OK I understand...I haven't run mine yet and thought possibly the plugs needed changed yearly or the wires didn't hold up out in the elements...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Here's something else to consider .... if you plan to run an intercom system like I have you're better off to stick with the shielded aircraft wires that came on the engine since they will not produce noise in your intercom like unshielded copper wires will. I agree with Corky that you don't want to run carbon core wires as these engines are essentially the same as aircraft engines and the mags were designed to run with shielded wires.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

i had to change my plug wires back to factory wires on the last time i changed my mag to fix my wideband gauge. the unshielded wires had so much interference that the gauges would hardly read and as aerokirk said will mess up an intercom. trying to save a little money sometimes an't worth the problems it creates.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade

Hey, Bobby !! Looking back at the trouble you started having with those magnetos....Do you think that run of failures you had was just a coincidence or the automotive wires somehow affected the mags output with interference or increased demands on them ??? Is it running OK now that you've switched back to the shielded wires ?? PS: I found the autolite plugs for the 084 on Ebay for about $5 a piece..That might be the best we can find for that type of plug...The champions are still at $10 or close which I agree is a little much for the plug...I snagged some of the autolites just to try in the future and see if there's a performance difference...https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-Autolite...BUwmp9&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by Corky; 12-08-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

i haven't had any problems since i switched back to factory wires. the engine runs great. not sure what caused all the mags to die but i guess it could of been the plug wires arcing. just don't know. bought an auto condenser and installed it in one of the dead mags and that mag is working now. i do know the rf signal killed one of my wide band fuel ratio gauges and the other one would work off and on with auto plug wires. now with the shielded wires it works perfect.
    4a084
    Arrow belt drive
    marty bray 116 mini pro
    solex 32/36
    weber 32/36
    solex 34 pict 3
    weber 34 ich
    Razor x 3 blade